Thread: Studs breaking on new Walshes

Studs breaking on new Walshes

I noticed this morning that several (maybe 5 or 6) studs on my new pair of PB Ultra Xtremes are breaking off. I've only used this pair less than 10 times since new a couple of months ago. And it's happening on both shoes in the same places!!

On my previous pair of PB Ultra Xtremes I didn't have any problems like this and they're nearly 2 years old now. I still have them and they've done 100s of miles, and no breaking studs.

Have I got a faulty pair or is this something to do with a new sole/shoe design? Anyone else had this?

Thanks Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fellhound

Re: Studs breaking on new Wals

I've known it to happen on rare occasions (more so recently). It's definitely a fault so you should take them back for a refund.

As a Walsh user for over 20 years I'm begining to wonder of they are losing their way. The new models are inferior to the old ones in my opinion. So much so that I am thinking of a pair of Mountain Bear Galdiators for my next fell shoe!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    I've known it to happen on rare occasions (more so recently). It's definitely a fault so you should take them back for a refund.

As a Walsh user for over 20 years I'm begining to wonder of they are losing their way. The new models are inferior to the old ones in my opinion. So much so that I am thinking of a pair of Mountain Bear Galdiators for my next fell shoe!
    I had this happen on a pair of the 'new' walshies. studs 'flattening' and wearing after only a few runs, thus resulting in a very unstable feeling shoe.....rubbish

MB Gladiators and Inov8 270's much much much better
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

i second the 270's

I used my ultras in a race last week and i very dissapointed with the traction on a uphill muddy section.
    I am not sure if the ultrs have lower studs than other walshes?

Quote Originally Posted by Thatusernameisalreadyused View Post
    I noticed this morning that several (maybe 5 or 6) studs on my new pair of PB Ultra Xtremes are breaking off. I've only used this pair less than 10 times since new a couple of months ago. And it's happening on both shoes in the same places!!

On my previous pair of PB Ultra Xtremes I didn't have any problems like this and they're nearly 2 years old now. I still have them and they've done 100s of miles, and no breaking studs.

Have I got a faulty pair or is this something to do with a new sole/shoe design? Anyone else had this?

Thanks Mike
    What terrain were you running on?

Thanks for the replies.

I do all my running on Cleeve Hill near Cheltenham. Terrain they were used on was grassy hill and muddy path through a wood. Grasswise, think the BG section between High Raise and Thunacar Knott.

I'm amazed at how quickly this has happened after so few outings. And considering my main pair are so old (and very worn) they've been doing the same terrain many, many times (and with several BG training trips too) and have never shown any sign of studs breaking away. Wearing down - yes. But not breaking off!

I'll send a photo to Pete Blands and see what they think, as that is where I bought them...