Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MP takes to the fells

MP takes to the fells

In the Westmorland gazette this week it seems our local MP has taken up fell running and intends to lobby the Olympic committee to try and get it into the next Olympics as an exhibition event which would take place in the Lakes. Theres a pic of him enjoying himself in the Dent fell race. Last election he got in with a really narrow majority just beating the Conservatives, but hes very active and this latest initiative will I am sure get him an even bigger majority. He'll get my vote.

Re: MP takes to the fells

Makes sense [cross country and cyclo cross in the winter one too]. Given how many different ways there is to swim up and down a pool - and now htey have an open water event as well.

And lets face it, Team GB is S^!t@ at running round a track..

It would be a nightmare if the bureaucrats got their hands on fell running for the Olympics. The informality and freedom of fell running would disappear for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    It would be a nightmare if the bureaucrats got their hands on fell running for the Olympics. The informality and freedom of fell running would disappear for good.

Fair enough, but he'll still get my vote.

Quite right. I can think of few things more damaging for fellrunning than for it to become an Olympic "sport". Still, I'm sure UKA will revel in it.
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    In the Westmorland gazette this week it seems our local MP has taken up fell running and intends to lobby the Olympic committee to try and get it into the next Olympics as an exhibition event which would take place in the Lakes. Theres a pic of him enjoying himself in the Dent fell race. Last election he got in with a really narrow majority just beating the Conservatives, but hes very active and this latest initiative will I am sure get him an even bigger majority. He'll get my vote.
    Tim Farron seems to do a few each year and good on him. He ran at Grasmere, Ambleside and Coniston Country Fair this year. He seems to be doing a good job as a local MP too rather than someone who you only see once every 4 years then swans off to Westminster on a jolly. I hope he stays in next time but it could be interesting; I'm sure the conservatives will be targetting his seat next time as it was so close.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Now what you should get an Olympic medal for in fellrunning is the best excuse on the start line why you are going to have a crap run and then having a stormer !!!! Gold medal to Stick

Quote Originally Posted by grifter View Post
    Now what you should get an Olympic medal for in fellrunning is the best excuse on the start line why you are going to have a crap run and then having a stormer !!!! Gold medal to Stick
    ...notice I've started early ft'Ben eh...?

Mek sure y'give that trophy a polish!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Tim Farron seems to do a few each year and good on him. He ran at Grasmere, Ambleside and Coniston Country Fair this year. He seems to be doing a good job as a local MP too rather than someone who you only see once every 4 years then swans off to Westminster on a jolly. I hope he stays in next time but it could be interesting; I'm sure the conservatives will be targetting his seat next time as it was so close.
    My bet is he'll get a majority in the '000's.

I doubt that it would be fell running for the Olympics since only the UK has true fell running, more the continental/global equivalent, with plans that would be, I imagine, akin to those next year for the commonwealth exhibition events in Keswick.
    Its a logical progression, looking at cycling and swimming with the introduction of mountain biking ('96), bmx and open water (this year).