Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Head Fell Race

Re: Dale Head Fell Race

One of the joys of Dalehead is route choice - especially on the descent! Have fun which ever way you go, but don't just follow.........
    A circular route mostly downhill

Three Shires is a good warm up for this race..........

Hey, i gotta little tip if you ain't been up there before, watch the bloody bog! i had a wander up yesterday and disapeared up to my shorts, managed to save my shoes, just..... twas fun, though i wouldn't like to do it on the day!:w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    One of the joys of Dalehead is route choice - especially on the descent! Have fun which ever way you go, but don't just follow.........
    So you're saying a morning recce early doors is a good idea?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Rain, i hate rain. Too warm to sweat in a cag so had to get wet, mind you everyone at the show got very wet and muddy and i was surprised they still went ahead with it. Today was the first time i've ever had to use my map and compass to get off a peak. We hit the clag with about 800' of climbing still to go but it was variable as always, i passed the summit checkpoint and headed off down a path that was going in the right direction expecting to pick up the two runners in front of me fairly quickly, but after 2 mins i realised they had gone a different way and in fact i had no idea where i was heading. I got a bearing from my map and began the most faith based descent i've ever made, i couldn't have found a route like that if i'd have tried and it's a good job i didn't injure myself in some way because i'd only have had the Herdwicks for company. It's an odd and nervous thing having to rely upon a piece of plastic when i'm used to relying on my instincts, but sure enough i dropped out of the clouds and there was the tarn and the Keswick runner i was behind at the summit although i have no idea which route he took. Winding round the end of the tarn was also the path i had left 5 mins earlier, i was taking the right direction in the beginning but i know better than to assume i'm where i think i am, and with hindsight i did the right thing to stop while i was still fairly close to the trig.

I'm going to do that race again at some point but i need to have a look at the final ascent first, i can't work out why everyone swung right and approached the trig from the NE and it was this difference in ascent/descent route that threw me a bit as i was expecting to see the leaders coming down on my way up. Haven't seen the results yet but i'm sure i didn't do too well as the field was 90% locals, i'd advise anyone doing this race who doesn't know where they're going like me to make sure they've got a map and compass as this race looked a lot easier than it actually was and the conditions exacerbated things awfully.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 19-09-2010 at 09:22 PM.

I can't find results either, or photos, anyone know where I'll find them?

Quote Originally Posted by hillsbells View Post
    I can't find results either, or photos, anyone know where I'll find them?
    I emailed the RO about results as they weren't submitted last year, he said they would be sent to the FRA in due course.

Some folk shortcut straight to the forum and avoid the homepage, but there is a note on this race worth reading on the homepage.

Anyone know if the race is going ahead on sunday looks like they have cancelled show due to weather forecast?
    WOODZY.

That would be a shame, especially as last year was staggeringly, apocalyptically (?!) wet but the race went ahead anyway for a select bunch of soggy runners. There was a nice set of photos in a recent Fellrunner mag of Rob Dewhurst of Ambleside trying and failing to stay upright on the sodden grass there. I'd be there (if it was on) except I've promised to cook a Sunday lunch for the parents, and there's a nice race near Kirby Stephen the day before (Westmorland trail race).

Hope the weather improves on Monday when the Tour of Britain passes down Borrowdale and through the Lakes.