Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bet you've heard this before

Bet you've heard this before

Here's one you've heard before. I've just finished reading 'feet in the clouds' -loved it, devoured it, and would love to try my hand in a proper fell race.

I'm not new to running, and not entirely new to fell running, as i do a lot of running on the south downs, and have even been for the occasional run up a hill on visits to the lakes (i also ran in the beachy head marathon last year, which is fell-ish, i.e. entirely off road with a fair bit a ascent).

Trouble is, living about as far south as you can get, there aren't too many local fell runners who could take me under their wing! any advice on training and preparation, or suggestions as to beginner friendly races that aren't too far north would therefore be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

Re: Bet you've heard this befo

As mentioned on here yesterday, I found the Box Hill Fell Race in Surrey to be a beginner friednly race.

http://www.sloweb.org.uk/events/20070120/index.htm

Trouble is, that was only last month!

Matt

Trundle Hill nr Chichester in May , Goodwood 10K in July and Butser in Hampshire just off the A3 in September are the nearest you'll get B4 the next Box Hill. There is also a fell series on the Isle of Wight. See you on the Downs.

Please note that Box Hill fills up very early - I just missed it this year (posted my entry the day befor the 'race full' notice appeared on the web!). I don't think there are any problems with any of the others Downsman mentions.

Butser is a great race - good course for spectators, juniors races, and a beer tent.

Quote Originally Posted by downsman View Post
    Trundle Hill nr Chichester in May , Goodwood 10K in July and Butser in Hampshire just off the A3 in September are the nearest you'll get B4 the next Box Hill. There is also a fell series on the Isle of Wight. See you on the Downs.
    Is Trundle Hill a midweek race held as part of the West Sussex Fun Run League? If so, I did that a couple of years ago and remeber it being great fun (coming back down the hell that is!).

Matt

Yes- it is a Wednesday race part of WSFRL. One of the better races in the calendar.

Also check out http://www.trionium.com/mm/ for midsummer munro. Some other trail races on there as well. A tad on the expensive side, mind...

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    Butser is a great race - good course for spectators, juniors races, and a beer tent.
    Is there a link for the Buster race? Can't find it on google

Don't forget - Beachy Head marathon, 3 Forts Marathon, Steyning Stinger. All good, off-road marathons with enough climb to make it hurt. Maybe the Clarenden marathon should go on the list, and that silly "Picnic" thing in the Surrey Hills. All good training for the real thing. If you can do the Beachy Head marathon you should be able to do 3 Peaks, for example, may need to navigate a bit though.

Downsrunner I've seen that avatar elsewhere. Assuming you're the same person not an avatar thief, it's nice to see you here!

www.butserchallenge.com has a map of the course and last years entry form. No sign of any results though.

I'm afraid I think the Midsummer Munro is far too expensive - nearly as bad as the Great South!