Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Money at the Races

Banned

Re: Money at the Races

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    As do many other fell races.

The requirements for an event to be considered as a fell race are published in the FRA Rules for Competition.

There is nothing in these Rules that state that a "true fell race" cannot follow roads, footpaths or trails.
    A fair point XRunner

I should have said in my opinion it does not consitute a fell race.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    It may be in the Fixture list but it not a true fell race as it only follows roads and footpaths and trails.

Having run last year I can say it was a good event on the whole and having stopped the weekend can assure everyone that the locals were more than happy to stage the event .

One area that could be improved is not to have the slower joggers running down the narrow path at the same time as the mass field are trying to go up it .
    Glad you enjoyed last year's race Stagger. We've changed the start times so there won't be the problem of some slower runners running down as the main herd are running up as the course enters Claife Heights.

I agree it's not a "true fell race", but most in the FRA calendar aren't. Maybe we should chuck out all the B and C category races, along with any A categories that don't require serious navigation/route choice skills ?

We registered the race with the FRA because a lot of FRA members run the Lakeland Trail races, and a lot were disappointed last year when the events all sold out so quickly.
    Puma Trailfox Lakeland Trails - Inspiring Races in Beautiful Places

Banned

It was an excellent series last year Mrs Stagger completed them all and I was her driver.
    They will fill up quick again this year because they are a good set of races in some ot he best areas of our green and pleasent land.

If the times have been changed then its a step closer to a perfect event.

PS Just cancal the rain as Keswick this year please.

Bigger is not always better.

Race organisers need to consider a number of issues before deciding on their race limits. e.g. the impact on the local communitiy and the environment.

Fell runners should also consider their motives for entering races.
    Why should they follow the herd and enter races where there are large fields.

My preference will always be a small traditional race where I can enjoy the scenery and the company of a few locals rather than the big impersonal races, professionally organised, but are rather a blot on the landscape.
    Its all about opinions isn't it? Personally I love racing and competing and trying to better myself and gain a great deal of motivation in doing so. Big prizes and well organised races will necessarily bring the better runners into town and if this gives me a chance to take them down then so much the better. I'll be there at Hawkshead and I'm looking forward to racing for the hell of it and my own personal enjoyment. If I take a prize away so much the better - I'm sure not going to feel guilty about running fast enough to win something.

And why should fell runners consider their motives for entering races? This seems quite a pompous thing to say. Its a free country and we can do what we like. I'm all for environmental preservation and protecting the countryside for the benefit of future generations but in doing so we musn't forget to enjoy the countryside ourselves - it is our right after all! Provided people behave in a responsible manner (and I mean competitors and organisers) theres no reason why larger races should have any signIficant impact on the environment at all. These larger sort of races may not switch some people on - fair enough I say. I hope that the kind of races they like survive for their benefit. But just because I don't particularly enjoy doesn't give me any reason to deride them or question the motives of people who do them does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I know I am down to run at all four of the races and am looking forward to them very much.

Me too Roadie, i've entered the series.

To be honest, i find all the arguements about race labels a bit bewildering. Hill Runninig, Fell Running, Mountain Running, Sky Running, Trail Running... how these events differ can very unclear. To me a race in the hills of the Lake District would be a fell race?
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Bigger is not always better.

Race organisers need to consider a number of issues before deciding on their race limits. e.g. the impact on the local communitiy and the environment.

Fell runners should also consider their motives for entering races.
    Why should they follow the herd and enter races where there are large fields.

My preference will always be a small traditional race where I can enjoy the scenery and the company of a few locals rather than the big impersonal races, professionally organised, but are rather a blot on the landscape.
    You should have a look at some of the Bofra races XR. You'd enjoy them. And a new Bofra web site should be up and running very soon.
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

The races are different to me because they make money for the organisers. I don't know of any others that do in the FRA calender. Perhaps this should be stated in with the calender entry. Big prizes mean big entries which mean....
    There should be a footnote which says: Please note your entry will include a contribution to the organisers holiday fund. That wouold be open and honest.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    How very elitist, a lesson in how not to attract new people to the sport
    I totally disagree.

First reason is that it would be good to encourage some fast runners to come along and contest the first prize? If I had a spare £20,000, (which I don't) I would gladly offer it to someone who could beat Billy Bland's Bob Graham record.

Second reason is most runners, whether they are new to the sport or not, no matter how 'ordinary' wouldn't begrudge winners making a couple of hundred pounds or more, would they?

Third reason is that most runners aren't going to feature near the prize money anyway so it isn't somehow going to cause huge numbers in a race that can't cope with it.

Fourth reason is a bit of prize money would be good and not bad for the sport. Offer it to the fast men and women runners and not the veterans or the spot prizes.

Where does the prize money come from? Entry fees or sponsorship?

Chris

I just noticed this has been moved from Fell Races to Non Fell Races then back again.

What's that about?

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    The races are different to me because they make money for the organisers. I don't know of any others that do in the FRA calender. Perhaps this should be stated in with the calender entry. Big prizes mean big entries which mean....
    There should be a footnote which says: Please note your entry will include a contribution to the organisers holiday fund. That wouold be open and honest.
    All races get organised for money Deek. Most clubs pocket this money, and build up their bank balances, doing nothing with it.

Every penny from these races gets put back into the events. Sure, we take out some for "event management fees", but in the real world, this amount is a joke and I daren't even work out what it would be per hour - less than 50p probably.

Prizes, cash or goods all come from sponsorships. The entry fees include a quality printed colour cotton T shirt, a contribution to the organisation providing marshal support (around £1 per head), entertainments - live music from professional bands, PA system, marquee hire, portaloos etc, etc. In other words, value for money.

So why do I do it ?

Because I'm lucky enough not to have a mortgage, I'm enjoying doing something new and I've got a well paid profession to fall back on. I've had a great deal of pleasure from running, especially abroad where they take the whole sport seriously, and I thought when I became an old fart and retired from racing I would like to put something back in to the sport. For me that means providing a safe way of introducing newcomers to the mountain environment, providing something for children, providing entertainment for spectators, and looking after the elite athletes with decent prizes. All this takes a huge amount of time and effort, but when you get over 250 under
    12's taking part in an event, many of whom have never done a race before, it gives me a buzz.

It gives me a buzz to see quality runners racing each other from all sorts of running backgrounds - fell, road, cross country, trail etc. Did you see the results from last year's Coniston Trail Race ?

And it also gives me a buzz when some townie from London comes up to the Lakes and is blown away by the beauty of our countryside, having never run off the roads before.

Perhaps all this should be stated in the calendar ?
    Puma Trailfox Lakeland Trails - Inspiring Races in Beautiful Places