Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Money at the Races

Re: Money at the Races

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Have fun Graham Caw Fell National looks particularly good
    Are you going to Caw Fell John ? If you are, do you fancy a lift share ?

By the way, entries CLOSE a month early on 9th March for the 15km Puma Trailfox Hawkshead Trail Race on Saturday 28th April. Another sell out.

Download entry forms from the event website www.lakelandtrails.org
    Puma Trailfox Lakeland Trails - Inspiring Races in Beautiful Places

Quote Originally Posted by detritus21 View Post

Fell running causes very little lasting damage to the country side. Races tend to only happen once a year its what it gets used for in between that causes the damage.
    I disagree with you there. I've seen tracks formed in many races such as in the dark peak, but the worst track I saw was in the 2 breweries years back.

Maybe is small races <50 people you can get away with it, but mass championship fields should not race across delicate areas.

No doubt damage is also caused by walkers and non racing fell runners, but that doesn't mean race organisers shouldn't seriously consider where and when they hold races.

I was up Moel Druman last week and the damage by Trial bikes up there is terrible, but that doesn't mean all other forms of erosion should not be controlled or encouraged.

In football, outside of the Uk you won't (or rarely) play on a wet heavy pitch, this was also true in Glasgow (especially with the Council), as they know that even though you kick off on a pitch in good nick, you will cause huge damage and not be able to play for weeks. In the UK, especially around north Wales, we play on pitches that are obviously going to be badly damaged, but the decisions made are short sighted, and even though the game is playable, the pitch is damaged for a prolonged period of time. No doubt this would also occur on some fell race routes.

My arguement is that the races that cause the damage is that this damage is usually sustainable and will recover in a short period of time. Take for example the Northern Cross Country from a couple of years ago at Sherdley park a couple of thousand runners on a wet course. I ran up there the week after was a mudbath still. Went up a month later and there was a small amount of damage within 4 months no sign that anything had ever been run.

Ok sherdley isn't an ecologically sensitive place but is a good example none the least.

Winter Hill is another example of where the environment repairs itself fairly quickly. I'm quite aware of the issues surrounding access and irresponsible users. I admit to being a 4x4 driver and like driving on "Greenlanes" ,before I get shot, I use them responsibley and only use sustainable routes but there are a large proportion of people who don't in everyform of outdoor pursuit.

I agree Fell Running should be sensible and sustainable as I put in my previous post. Impact is a very difficult subject as quite often you don't know what the impact has until events occur. Incidently the Trail races are all run on tracks I believe which should be the most sustainable routes in the vicinity. Fell Running often relies on ones abilty to pick a route rather than following tracks. Would you want to see fellraces that are taped throughout to avoid damage kind of takes away the freedom doesn't it. Tis all abit of an emotive subject really that clearly has many differing oppinions.

The Northern X Country isn't a great example. But it does show that repair is possible in certain areas. For example last week I was visiting aircraft wrecks sites that were over 50 years old, and the peat was still bare from where the wreck was burnt. High exposed ground just does not regenerate quickly.

I agree with your point re picking paths, which is why such championship races should be held on areas which can tolerate such abuse.

Wasn't the scar from one of the early kimms in the dark peak visible for years?

All I'm saying is that currently fell running has a pretty good name, or at least quite anonymous, if major damage is done then NP's could have the power just to ban such events or severly limit numbers participating. DoC were doing this in NZ, meaning races were getting very expensive as the organising costs were still similar even though there was less racers.