Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking after my new Walshes

Looking after my new Walshes

Having finally realised that my existing Walshes have had it (no studs, bits coming off the uppers, laces full of repairs knots) I've just got delivery of some shiney new ones. PB Elite Expremes:

To try and extend their life has anyone got any tips? I realise the studs will wear down regardless but I'd kind of like the uppers to last better this time. I've never been that good at hosing fell shoes down after a run, given that I tend to wear them 4 or 5 times a week and don't much enjoy putting them on when they're still soggy, but presumably drying mud can be corrosive and is best hosed off? Anything else though?

Re: Looking after my new Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Having finally realised that my existing Walshes have had it (no studs, bits coming off the uppers, laces full of repairs knots) I've just got delivery of some shiney new ones. PB Elite Expremes:

To try and extend their life has anyone got any tips? I realise the studs will wear down regardless but I'd kind of like the uppers to last better this time. I've never been that good at hosing fell shoes down after a run, given that I tend to wear them 4 or 5 times a week and don't much enjoy putting them on when they're still soggy, but presumably drying mud can be corrosive and is best hosed off? Anything else though?
    well, the soggy bit is a problem if you will be using them a few times a week, but i've just disciplined myself into washing my mudclaw's as soon as i get back. I tend to do them with in the shower, warm water light scrubbing brush then let them dry naturally. In fact, i've had some of my best showers with my 270's.
    I would suppose water repellant sprays (like you use on walking boots) should help. Nik wax products stand out there i think

Give them a quick rinse in cold water (not warm as this can un-glue them) and then stuff them with newspaper, they will be dry for the following days run then.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Give them a quick rinse in cold water (not warm as this can un-glue them) and then stuff them with newspaper, they will be dry for the following days run then.
    Don't stuff too tightly so that it distorts though.

Walshes don't work properly until thoroughly marinaded in gloop, crud and peat. This forms a protective skin that wards off further environmental mischief.

That's true, that is
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Walshes don't work properly until thoroughly marinaded in gloop, crud and peat. This forms a protective skin that wards off further environmental mischief.

That's true, that is
    I tried that but I'm not sure that it works

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    now i've learnt something there, warm water-de glueing

I first brush the dirt off in a bucket of cold water, then clean them in a bucket of water with laundry liquid. It makes them very clean and they get a wonderful smell ...

pervert!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master and MR

Ive never cleaned a pair of walshs yet

run/ chuck on patio, leave for 3 days whilst using walsh spare pair rotation system.
    return to the left shoes , hopefully they have dried and returned to there former glory and have retained there crispyness.
    If wet when you return , stuff some paper in them and continue using rotation system until dry.
    If you have 3 days of rain your in a mess