Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fell running in Ambleside

Fell running in Ambleside

Hi All,

Not sure if any one remembers but i posted a question many months ago about fell running in the lakes. Well my wife and i are here and enjoying the country side. Have only seen the sun a couple of times but it was very nice both times. Our hike/run on Scafell yesterday was interesting in that we only saw white for about 3 hours and all of the peaks. We still had a great time.

So, i was wondering if any one out there in Ambleside would mind if we tagged along on a club run on tuesday night. We are slow (i have had a rough summer health wise) but we would really like to find out what fell running is all about. From our little runs this past week we are pretty intimidated by the thought of hurling down a mountain side at top speed, but the pint after the run is hopfully going to make up for any pain.

We have no phone or car here in Ambleside so we would probably also require a lift (we would chip in for gas) so if any one is interested in having a couple of canadians tag along please respond here.

Pat

Re: Fell running in Ambleside

I'd just turn up at the Club meet place, maybe check out venue via website...google...introduce yourself..enjoy! I have never had a problem with "guesting"

Hope it goes well!

Hi Pat. Anyone welcome, even Canadians The club run is at the Queens Head, Troutbeck at 6.30 Tuesday. Usually about 15 to 20 turn up, two or three seperate groups with varying speeds. Run won't be too long because its getting dark far too early - ie about 1 hr to 1 hr 30 depending on whether we can see our feet or not. Queens head is about 4 miles away and it is a lovely pub to end up in after a run. I can probably give you a lift from Ambleside. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in the clouds View Post
    Hi Pat. Anyone welcome, even Canadians The club run is at the Queens Head, Troutbeck at 6.30 Tuesday. Usually about 15 to 20 turn up, two or three seperate groups with varying speeds. Run won't be too long because its getting dark far too early - ie about 1 hr to 1 hr 30 depending on whether we can see our feet or not. Queens head is about 4 miles away and it is a lovely pub to end up in after a run. I can probably give you a lift from Ambleside. PM me.
    Don't you have headtorches in Ambleside? Headtorches are essential again for the weekly Pennine outings on Kinder.

Lost on the clouds, i have PM'd you.

We would love a run from Troutbeck, we have been over wanesfell a couple of times from ambleside but would like to see what else is over there.

Oh, and we did bring head lamps, not sure if we should bring them for the night run tomorrow...

We don't need torches, just head for the welcoming lights of the hostelry in the valley and its a bonus if we get there with no twisted ankles.

"We would love a run from Troutbeck, we have been over wanesfell a couple of times from ambleside but would like to see what else is over there."

Chances are you will get to go up the other side of Wansfell

Pat, yes you can have a lift, and I live on the same road that you are staying on. 6pm. House is called Tetherend, behind the big hedge, green car in the drive.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Nice little story this. How did it go? Did you meet up alright? Did the Canadian go up a hill but come down in the dark? Was the beer nice?
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Pat the Canadian definitely had a run that was a little out of the ordinary for him. He was unfortunate enough to turn up on the week of one of the least runnable climbs that we do, not because it was steep, though it was, but because the path disappeared into thick bracken underlaid with slippery mud. As he said, it was the first run he has had to do on all fours. The top of Yoke (west side of Kentmere horseshoe), when we got there, was fast disappearing in the gloom. The hard new path off the ridge was like a motorway, followed by the equally hard and much less smooth Garburn track down to troutbeck and mile of tarmac up to the welcoming glittering lights of the Queens Head. I think he enjoyed it...

Then I saw this snippet in the Westmorland Gazette which made me think that perhaps some of Ambleside ACs navigational skills had rubbed off.

Couple rescued from field
    11:59am Friday 19th September 2008
    MEMBERS of Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue team were called out to find a Canadian couple who had become lost in a field.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Brilliant!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I thought the Tuesday night run up towards Yoke was some sort of initiation task for guests. Apart from turning my ankle in a pothole, it was a good run. I caught up with Pat on the Wednesday after. He was still walking OK

Just want to say big thanks to Ambleside AC for letting me join them on a number of runs for the week I was there. Made me feel very welcome and offered great hospitality.

Mark - The Welshman from Essex