Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fell races

First fell races

Hi
    After dithering around since March I'm now going to take the plunge and enter some races . I've already entered the Pen Fell Race in November (against my better judgement - 11 miles - I've never run further than 7!) and I'm going to enter the Arenig Fawr race as recommended to me by Wheezingdonkey earlier this year. I'll probably come last in both but, hey hoh, somebody has to .

Just wondering what shoes I should wear for these? I have some Salamon and Adidas trail running shoes and have also just got some Innov8 Mudclaws. I haven't tried them out though yet as much of the running I do involves hard trails and I don't want to wear them out!

Thanks
    L

Re: First fell races

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    Hi
    After dithering around since March I'm now going to take the plunge and enter some races . I've already entered the Pen Fell Race in November (against my better judgement - 11 miles - I've never run further than 7!) and I'm going to enter the Arenig Fawr race as recommended to me by Wheezingdonkey earlier this year. I'll probably come last in both but, hey hoh, somebody has to .

Just wondering what shoes I should wear for these? I have some Salamon and Adidas trail running shoes and have also just got some Innov8 Mudclaws. I haven't tried them out though yet as much of the running I do involves hard trails and I don't want to wear them out!

Thanks
    L
    Louisa,
    The Arenig Fawr race has a very steep descent. The Mudclaws will be best, especially if it is wet. It is a hard race, quite rough and rocky high up but the first and last miles are easy running. The whole course is flagged but in bad weather this mountain can be dangerous. Full body cover is a must and extra layers necessary if wet and windy.
    See http://yiannistridimas.tripod.com/ for details
    Yiannis (organiser)

...And just in case Louise, your prediction about coming last comes true, there is a small prize for the last man and woman!
    Yiannis

Thanks for your help Yiannis. Do you think this is unsuitable for my first race then? I thought it might be OK because it's marked so I haven't got to worry too much about route finding. Also I know the distance is manageable for me.

I'm most worried about the ascent (I can often walk faster than I can run on uphill routes!) but I'm not too bad coming downhill, even where it's steep and rough. I'm also not worried about coming last - just about coming in after everone's gone home . I've looked at the times for the last couple of years and think I'll be OK.

I run in the hills behind Prestatyn, for distances of up to 7 miles. However, the ascent and descents obviously won't be as long, or hard. I'm an experienced mountain walker so I have the appropriate gear and I'm used to walking in bad weather conditions in the mountains. However, I haven't walked Arenig Fawr before. My husband and I are planning to camp the night before the race though and do a recce on the Saturday.

Also, if the weather's too bad, I can always change my mind

Do wear your Inov8s in before the race. It's the only way I avoid blisters with em.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Thanks for your help Yiannis. Do you think this is unsuitable for my first race then? I thought it might be OK because it's marked so I haven't got to worry too much about route finding. Also I know the distance is manageable for me.

I'm most worried about the ascent (I can often walk faster than I can run on uphill routes!) but I'm not too bad coming downhill, even where it's steep and rough. I'm also not worried about coming last - just about coming in after everone's gone home . I've looked at the times for the last couple of years and think I'll be OK.

I run in the hills behind Prestatyn, for distances of up to 7 miles. However, the ascent and descents obviously won't be as long, or hard. I'm an experienced mountain walker so I have the appropriate gear and I'm used to walking in bad weather conditions in the mountains. However, I haven't walked Arenig Fawr before. My husband and I are planning to camp the night before the race though and do a recce on the Saturday.

Also, if the weather's too bad, I can always change my mind
    Louisa,
    Turn up and enjoy the race without worrying about your speed. You always find someone slower than you in races. If the weather is very bad speak to me before the start.
    The checkpoints are manned and there will be sweepers collecting the flags.
    I will be flagging the route on Sat evening (27th) so if you and your husband are around you can give me a hand and do a good reccie at the same time, how about that!
    Yiannis

Don't worry - we all walk up the hills!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    Do wear your Inov8s in before the race. It's the only way I avoid blisters with em.
    Yes. Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to try them out in a couple of runs over the next few days. They feel quite strange compared to my usual trainers. Better carry blister plasters too then!

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Louisa,
    I will be flagging the route on Sat evening (27th) so if you and your husband are around you can give me a hand and do a good reccie at the same time, how about that!
    That sounds a really good idea. Thanks
    We're just trying decide which campsite to stay in at the mo.

Yes. Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to try them out in a couple of runs over the next few days. They feel quite strange compared to my usual trainers. Better carry blister plasters too then!
    Wear em round the house and for driving, in fact as much as you can till you don't notice them.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"