Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cancer

Cancer

Sorry to bring up such a potentially heavy topic...but given its prevalence there's got to be some experience amongst the assembled readership.

As I gear myself up to dealing with a challenge that seems somewhat more daunting than a wet winter's clag downed ridge in the dark, I wondering if anyone else has had experience of running through chemo and the rest of it. I'm up for the "rest of it" as well. Getting through it is a priority for me. Any pointers more than welcome...
    Last edited by sapper; 18-09-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Cancer

Sapper. Courage mate. I have a female friend who I hadn't seen for a bit and she was clearly showing the signs of having had chemo. I was shocked but didn't know how to broach the subject with her. This was at a local fete. What she did was this: she went round the field saying hello to her friends and after quick pleasantries just told them about it and gave them the chance to ask questions. I thought she was incredibly mature and brave. She made it easy for people to get on side. I know that shouldn't be her job but people often can't talk about cancer and hope that if they don't it will just go away.
    She ran a tough local 10k trail race last month with no fuss. Two ladies I didn't know ran Wetherby 10k last week in similar style. Respect to them and to you.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Re: Cancer

Hey sapper. all the best. i can't help with direct experience - just words of encouragement.

i suppose it depends how you react to your particular illness and your particular treatment - i don't know what stage you are or what prognosis you have been given/what treatment you are lining up for.

in the thick of it all, you'll know what constitutes an achievement - whether it be completing a race, making it round the block, or getting out of bed.

we can't all be jane tomlinsons or lance armstrongs - though we can be inspired by them, just run/walk what you can with the body you have that day.

Aye, keep battlin' on. You might be interested to know that earlier this year I learned about a lady called Nicky. She has had a battle with the condition. Check out her site:
    http://www.runbg.co.uk/

Inspiring stuff and a big thumbs up to her.

Stay positive Sapper, best wishes and good luck
    Hills and Guinness!

Graeme

All the best. Hope everything works out well for you.

Brief, but speedy reply:- a running friend (female) faced chemo 2 summers ago and didn't run during treatment.......not sure why, or if that was on medical advice.
    I should say that, from what I know of the process, chemo does leave you at risk from immunosupression (eg. can't fight off infection as you normally do..lack of white blood cells and advised to try and steer clear of potentially risky environments/people).

My mind does go back to Jayne Tomlinson who achieved amazing physical things whilst on treatment designed to keep her alive long enough to do so!! She was a true exception/inspiration.

I hope that you can keep us up to date with you progress....you have the support and healing vibes of the whole forum, I'm sure!!
    Physical fitness is always a good foundation for any challenge....medical or otherwise.
    K.

Quote Originally Posted by jodg View Post
    Aye, keep battlin' on. You might be interested to know that earlier this year I learned about a lady called Nicky. She has had a battle with the condition. Check out her site:
    http://www.runbg.co.uk/

Inspiring stuff and a big thumbs up to her.
    Dig in there sapper and go the distance. Fight it all the way.

Nicky is a regular running partner of mine and she is a legend.

She started running 5ish years ago and since then she has had cancer and done the BG,PB and the Ramsey.

Thanks everyone. As things stand I'm planning to keep going while I can and ratfink's "whether it be completing a race, making it round the block, or getting out of bed" is where I am with it at the moment. Whatever I can do, I will do.

I'm surprised how little literature there is on this...maybe runners just get it less than others...the most detailed I've found is Jenny Goellnitz's piece here http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12936.

Off out for a run now anyway.
    Cheers.

A really useful article, Sapper.....thanks for the link.
    As you said, some lack of research behind this, but you could always see yourself as a "single case study" and conduct your own experiment (medics permitting!). Pre and post analysis could be done on the forum, if required!!

I'm sure that (as with most medical advice) it will depend very much on who you ask about this topic: knowing about cancer does not = knowing about running, but asking if they know of folk who have tried this path is always useful...if they have never seen anyone try...

I suppose it's like any big event we might do.....ask advice from those who have competed before, study the maps and the routes advised, be guided by conditions on the day and make your own decisions as to which way to go!?

(Sorry if that sounds a bit drippy....I am trying to be speedy...AND vaguely helpful if poss!!)