Thread: Darkness running transformed!

Darkness running transformed!

Hi all,

as an enjoyer of darkness runs on the moors of the Peak District, I'd struggled along with short-sightedness, poor night vision and a vague idea of what was in front of me, courtesy of a barely sufficient Myo 5 LED headtorch, for a fair amount of time. I'd say that 80% of the time I was certain of my footing and the rest was a mixture of guess work and trying to repond to holes, boulders etc as smoothly as possible without knackering an ankle of falling over.

These days (nights!) have been changed a trillion percent thanks to being introduced to a Silva 478 headtorch!

A mate had bought one for using in adventure races for both running and mountain biking and was singing it's praises. He brought it out a few weeks ago for a run over White Edge and minutes into the run - I was converted!

My increase in enjoyment of darkness running is difficult to put into words now that the whole world lights up at my feet. Navigation is a pleasure as I can actually see features rather than hope I just bump into them (or not!)

You can choose 10W or 20W of light - I get by on 10 as this is more than adequate for sure footed running and prolongs the rechargable battery life to near 4 hours - but the 20 is a boon for spotting features from a distance and checking the lie of the land.

The headtorch unit is very comfy compared to the Petzl set up, probably as a result of batteries being carried in the backpack rather than on the head cradle.

OK, it's not cheap at around 125 quid for light, 9ah battery and charger; but for me, it's been worth every penny for the increased pleasure it brings and I wish I'd discovered it ages ago.

If you're thinking of replacing a headtorch and doing a fair bit of running at night on the fells ... this is well worth considering.

Being new to the forum (1st post!) it's probably worth mentioning I have nothing to do with Silva and nothing to gain by recommending their kit.

It's just made my running life better!

Cheers
    Chris

Re: Darkness running transform

£125 looks good value for the 478, the 9ah battery and charger. Where from?

Hi Marrow,

http://www.marinemegastore.com/jump/...L_57058_98.htm will take you to relevent page.

£139 but you get 10% off on your first order - plus free postage - which brings it to around £125.

Cheers
    Chris

I'm beginning to see the light...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruxy View Post
    You can choose 10W or 20W of light
    Good to hear such a thing exist. 10W is what I have on my bike, and it's way more than almost every other cyclist has. My current head torch is nothing compared to that.

Perhaps you already al know this but... halogen are generally good for you to see ahead, but not so good for them (cars) to see you. LED are just the opposite. That's why when cyling is good to have both (I do). Running off road halogens are better (I tried).

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    10W is what I have on my bike, and it's way more than almost every other cyclist has.

Not sure what you mean by this statement? I run two 10W lamps (spot & wide) on my mtn bike, and I know you can get 20W lamps - I think I might even have heard of 35W ones.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this statement? I run two 10W lamps (spot & wide) on my mtn bike, and I know you can get 20W lamps - I think I might even have heard of 35W ones.
    Yes, I know there are such lights around. Just very few people use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Yes, I know there are such lights around. Just very few people use them.

Maybe it's the circles I move in, but it seems like everyone's got them that I know. Though I wouldn't bother using them for road riding (road riding I tend to use LED's that burn for ages).

Thinking about upgrading my MTB lighting system, I want to get some extra burntime. Mine are supposed to burn for 2 1/2 hrs on one 10W & 1 1/2hrs on both, however when I'm running them I only seem to get 40 mins off a single!!
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Fellhound

4 hour battery life??? That would never be enough for Baggins....

Its not long enough for a proper run

Bill