Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    certainly wouldn't be fun today unless you like storm force winds and heavy rain. river is high - river crossing could be fun on the OMM.
    They could still cancel it yet
    Bill

Just measured this (The Cumbria Traverse) on Memory Map - it gives 45Km with 3580m of ascent. I find MM slightly estimates distance by between 5% & 10% but is usually pretty spot on with height gain.

Let's say 48Km and 3600m (30 miles and 12000ft in old money) unless John took a GPS with him and has different values.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Just measured this (The Cumbria Traverse) on Memory Map - it gives 45Km with 3580m of ascent. I find MM slightly estimates distance by between 5% & 10% but is usually pretty spot on with height gain.

Let's say 48Km and 3600m (30 miles and 12000ft in old money) unless John took a GPS with him and has different values.
    Bob. I tried to tempt Headless with this as part of his run in to his BG attempt without success.

Definitely one for next year, so keep in touch if you are going up for a look, especially the section from B Mills to Caw which is new to me.

M
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Four of us (Russ Cannon, Jo Scott, Pat Bartlett and myself) completed the Traverse on Sunday in 10hrs 16mins.

The plan had always been to tackle this on the first day of British Summer Time and despite gloomy weather forecasts earlier last week, we were blessed with stunning weather.

There was a bitterly cold wind blowing across the Crinkles and Bowfell and in places some fresh snow and ice made the rocks a little tricky; however, the going was generally very good and the sunshine was very welcome.

We started from Broughton Mills at 08:19 and finished at the Moot Hall at 18:35, full timings are available should anyone be interested and thinking of an attempt.

Route finding was predictably easy and we did take the direct descent from Great End to Styhead, this was actually made easier by the fresh snow in this area.

A great day out and highly recommended for anyone looking for big day out in the Lakes.

Well done - give my regards to Russ, last saw him at the Kentmere race a couple of years ago.

I have an attempt scheduled for Saturday but at a rather more sedate pace. I'll let you know how we get on.

Just got back from doing the Cumbria Traverse unsupported- beautiful weather and no need for the map at all. Set off in sunshine with Spring ruly bursting at the Blacksmiths Arms and this continued over the whole range. Took us 9 hours 15mins. Low point was the dream of a can of coke at Honister only to be told they only did bottled water - this didn't go down well with us sugar cravers. Anyway plodded on and got to Keswick all in one piece. Great route if you fancy - preferably in the daylight hours!!

Well done Witless.
    A cracking day to be out for a good long trip on the fells today.

You passed me heading up High Spy - you certainly seemed to be going pretty well. It was great weather for it.

I'll be having a go at this unsupported on Sunday (1 May). PM me if you want to join in.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club