Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Master

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

I am considering doing this on saturday 21st May, strting at broughton. My only problem is how to get back to Broughton at the end. Does any one know if it is possible to return by bus? Unless anyone fancies joining me and we could leave a car at both ends?

Im joining Dawsy's team on an attempt tomorrow starting out at 7am. Weather forecast bright and sunny but winds of 30-40MPH on the ridges could slow us down

Will report tomorrow night.

Simon Bertie Mat and I set off from Broughton Mills just after 7am. Expert navigation by Bertie saw us safely over the lower summits and across to Dow Crag. The very strong easterly wind came as a releif rather than an obstacle as the wonderful weather saw the tempratures soar. Going was really fast across the ridge to Coniston Old man, the veiws were spectacular. We reached the three shires stone in good time where Dick and support team were waiting with a feast. Onward across cold Pike and the crinlkles we were still going strong. On reaching Bowfell I was then in my element following all the best BGR lines across to Great end. We had planned to take the gulley route down and Simon and I had been down this route on my JNC last year. However that didnt help as we took the wrong gulley and ended up getting in amongst some very scary crags. Ten minutes were lost ensuring we got safely down, but we were soon facing the haul up Great Gable. Mat seemed to be struggling at this stage, but our pact to complete as a team of four was maintained. The run down to Honister was back on to the BGR lines and we were there in good time where more refreshments awaited. Mat had recovered and in fact was flying now as we set off across the ridge to the last summit Cat Bells. Then it was a road race back to Keswick and the welcome site of the Moot Hall. A total time of 9 hours and 9 minutes.

A wonderful day out on the hills. I can recommend it.

11 hours 1 minute yesterday. Saturday night a number of tents were blown down on the Sykeside campsite (Brotherswater). The campsite bins were full of wrecked tents, & Sunday morning saw two cars parked on top of collapsed tents & other sites vacated during the night. The wind was still strong in the morning & we decided to start from Keswick - I'd never have got to the end if we hadn't gone north to south. Not a cloud in the sky all day, and I wore a t-shirt all day as well, but the wind was something else. We were brought to a halt a number of times, unable even to walk into it. Crinkle Crags were difficult, & my mate had had enough after this, so he made his own way back to Cockley Beck & hitched a lift. I kept going, but the Coniston Fells were really hard. I had to keep off the ridge the whole way, contouring the slopes on the west side & nipping up to the Old Man, Dow Crag & Brown Pike to brave the gale. The ridge was pretty horrendous. A bit of wandering round over the low fells at the end, but not much time lost here as it was less windy, & visiblity was perfect. I wasn't too knackered by the end but couldn't have gone much faster in those conditions. Finishing at the Blacksmiths Arms has an obvious advantage too!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Well done to all CT completers this weekend, getting the job done in these winds must have presented a whole different set of challenges.

Reading Andy's account it's worth considering just how much mountaincraft is suggested in his short paragraph - it's not just clag and darkness that challenge our capacity to go long on the high fells.
    What's next Splatcher?
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Quote Originally Posted by tinyman View Post
    What's next Splatcher?
    Thanks Tinyman. Next is the Sandstone Trail Challenge the weekend after next, then the main event is the Joss Naylor on 29 May. At yesterday's pace I reckon it will take me 16.5 hours, which is a pity as I've got to do it in under 15 & will be setting off on a 13.5 hour schedule. We're going to need good visibility and no wind!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

These split times recorded on our day out may be usefull to any one looking to put together a schedule for the route.

Start - Broughton Mills 7.20am 31.4.2011
    Great Stickle - 0.22 (footy chat)
    Stickle PIke - 0.36 (beautiful dusty layers into the distance)
    Caw - 1.07 (first pull, out of the wind)
    White Maiden - 1.39 (fun navigation, dry underfoot, lovely going)
    Brown Pike - 1.52 (first walkers for the day, big views opening up)
    Dow Crag - 2.05 (wind up a bit more now)
    Consiton Old Man - 2.25 (dog leg the old man, great running on the ridge)
    Swirl How - 2.48 (little left of the ridge to the top)
    Great Carrs - 2.53 (past the WW2 wreckage, stunning 360 views)
    Wrynose Pass - arr 3.08 dep 3.15 (smiles and big strides into the pass, quick munch and water refills)
    Cold Pike - 3.43 (following the track then cut across)
    Crinkle Crags - 4.12 (wrinkly crags... little bit of scrambling)
    Bowfell - 4.42 (still a bit rocky, but into familiar BG country)
    Esk Pike - 4.59 (starting to feel it now, keep on shoving food down)
    Great End - 5.18 (caught some Joss Naylor runners, chatting in the sunshine)
    Great Gable - 6.23 (dropped off into the crags too early, sketchy scramble down then the hardest pull, big tick)
    Green Gable - 6.36 (short skip, back of the CT broken)
    Brandreth - 6.49 (easier cruising, less rocky)
    Grey Knotts - 6.55 (eye on the last crossing to refill)
    Honister Pass - arr 7.07 dep 7.17 (Dale's good line, Mat and me struggling to keep up, then welcome sarnies)
    High Spy - 7.56 (boyant up the last big climb)
    Maiden Moor - 8.11 (beautiful views, starting to smell victory)
    Cat Bells - 8.23 (pass the Higginsons, Mat hits his stride speeding down the ridge)
    Moot Hall - 9.09 (regroup at the foot, bit of a long slog round into Keswick, chuffed to complete it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Simon Bertie Mat and I set off from Broughton Mills just after 7am. Expert navigation by Bertie saw us safely over the lower summits and across to Dow Crag. The very strong easterly wind came as a releif rather than an obstacle as the wonderful weather saw the tempratures soar. Going was really fast across the ridge to Coniston Old man, the veiws were spectacular. We reached the three shires stone in good time where Dick and support team were waiting with a feast. Onward across cold Pike and the crinlkles we were still going strong. On reaching Bowfell I was then in my element following all the best BGR lines across to Great end. We had planned to take the gulley route down and Simon and I had been down this route on my JNC last year. However that didnt help as we took the wrong gulley and ended up getting in amongst some very scary crags. Ten minutes were lost ensuring we got safely down, but we were soon facing the haul up Great Gable. Mat seemed to be struggling at this stage, but our pact to complete as a team of four was maintained. The run down to Honister was back on to the BGR lines and we were there in good time where more refreshments awaited. Mat had recovered and in fact was flying now as we set off across the ridge to the last summit Cat Bells. Then it was a road race back to Keswick and the welcome site of the Moot Hall. A total time of 9 hours and 9 minutes.

A wonderful day out on the hills. I can recommend it.

Nice one Dale and Co.

Thanks for the timings; could be useful later in the year when I am planning to enjoy the CT.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Five Penistone, one Glossopdale and one Totley runner completed the traverse on the 14th May. Setting off from Broughton Mills at 07:00 and touching Moot Hall at 18:46, total 11hr 46m. Set off in sunshine, day deteriorated, very windy around Dow Crag, hat, gloves, waterproofs put on over Bowfell to Great End, wind, rain and hail!, squally showers thereafter, but finished in the sunshine with fish and chips!.
    Will get splits posted later.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Man View Post
    Five Penistone, one Glossopdale and one Totley runner completed the traverse on the 14th May. Setting off from Broughton Mills at 07:00 and touching Moot Hall at 18:46, total 11hr 46m. Set off in sunshine, day deteriorated, very windy around Dow Crag, hat, gloves, waterproofs put on over Bowfell to Great End, wind, rain and hail!, squally showers thereafter, but finished in the sunshine with fish and chips!.
    Will get splits posted later.
    Well done Ian. If I hadn't been on BG duty I would have joined you.

IF i'd have been invited.........:w00t: