Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cumbrian Traverse

Re: Cumbrian Traverse

Only just spotted this thread.
    Did the CT on that windy bank holiday weekend. On 2nd May with winds still being silly took the South - North route. Easier start cos living in Millom meant more of a lie-in.
    B Mills start 9.30am
    G Stickle 17.43, S Pike 28.43, Caw 55.34, W.Maiden 1.23.47 (via W Pike 1.19.50),
    B Pike 1.34.30, Dow 1.46.04, Old Man 2.02.47, S How 2.25.23, G Carrs 2.27.45, Wrynose 2.43.53 (11 min stop), C Pike 3.18.50, C Crags 3.43.44, Bowfell 4.09.10, Esk P 4.26.42,
    G End 4.45.44, Gt Gable 5.34.40, Green G 5.47.22, Brandreth 5.56.51, G Knotts 6.02.51, Honister 6.14 (6 min stop) H Spy 6.54.21, M Moor 7.07.11, Cat Bells 7.21.47, 2 min stop on road for shoe change, Moot Hall 7.57.47

So 19 mins of stops, but lots wasted trying to write down the split times in that wind. Blown over on Swirl How. Worst area from Gable to Keswick. The downwinds on the climb to Gable really bad and got 'brain freeze' descending Gable in the fresher blast. Out of the wind the temperature was high and the streams were on the thin side. Climbed too high from Honister probably reluctant to turn head on into the wind for the High Spy route. Enjoyable run and would like to have a go in more benign conditions. Hope these splits help someone.

Well done. At least the wind was with you. We had to abort our JNC after two legs into the wind and rain. Cruel when today was mostly dry sunny and only brezzy by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Well done. At least the wind was with you. We had to abort our JNC after two legs into the wind and rain. Cruel when today was mostly dry sunny and only brezzy by comparison.
    ...and well done to you Karen on winning the Silva head torch!

I quite fancy a crack at this some time.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    ...and well done to you Karen on winning the Silva head torch!

I quite fancy a crack at this some time.
    Just fill in the email and send it in to Runfurther. I won the snazzy pertex jacket the month before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Just fill in the email and send it in to Runfurther. I won the snazzy pertex jacket the month before.
    ...and i won some Vasque shoes early last year

Torch is brill thanks. Youngest son nearly burnt his eyeballs out when he tried it today. (just don't ask what i wrote as the reason I should win it)
    I too like the vasque shoes I won- I would perhaps not have spent the money experimenting but love them. Now I find I can't get them in the Uk? any ideas? ( a holiday to USA seems a bit extreme)

As part of final preparations for the UTMB and CCC respectively, I completed the Traverse yesterday with Nicky Jacquiery in 10.36.

We were both wearing Salomon S Lab XT Wings 3, partly to get these bedded in for the races in the Alps, and partly to ensure we weren't tempted to go too quickly!

Got through to 3 Shires Stone without seeing another soul. Relatively quiet until we came down off Esk Pike to become entangled with the Borrowdale Race. Great to find ourselves travelling up Dale Head a deal faster than some of the runners!

The weather was not too bad, a bit of drizzle on a few occasions through the day, a heavy downpour while climbing Cold Pike (huge rain drops) and a damp and misty ending from about Dale Head Tarn onwards.

Not having reccied the direct descent off Great End, we could have done without the damp, greasy rock to contend with but there were sufficient cairns and signs of passage to keep us on the right line.

Excellent support from my wife Alison Eagle at the usual spots.

A great route and a wonderful feeling of "journeying" which is sometimes missing from circular routes. Highly recommended.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Well done Morgan. I would be interested to know how the XT Wings handle things regarding cushioning, stability and grip. I really like Salomon because their narrow fit suits my feet and still leaves room in the toebox for steep descents. The downside is the grip. I first used some on the UTMB and found them really comfortable - the grip is not a big a problem if you are not going that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    I would be interested to know how the XT Wings handle things regarding cushioning, stability and grip. I really like Salomon because their narrow fit suits my feet and still leaves room in the toebox for steep descents. The downside is the grip. I first used some on the UTMB and found them really comfortable - the grip is not a big a problem if you are not going that quickly.
    Tony, off thread maybe but a quick report on the shoes.

I too have narrow feet. Early in the year I was using Roclite 295s, but the truth of the matter for me was that they weren't giving me the comfort I needed.

I have had XA Pros for walking and used the Speedcross a lot over the years, so I know the Salomon last fits my foot pretty well.

I decided to have a go with the S Labs without ever having a pair of the Wings; but I have been very impressed with them, and have been running pretty much all my terrain in them these last couple of months.

I think the key is in the chassis (as they call it) which seems to hold the foot a deal closer than the XA Pro and means that it can cope with most terrain with ease. They aren't great on tussocky grass, but you wouldn't expect a trail shoe to cope that well. The stability has been really very good, better than I expected. And as ever, the more you tighten the lacing system, the better the stability.

I have managed to do away with my orthotics too, which I could never do with an Inov8. There is a gentle arch post in the S Labs which does the trick for my flat feet.

Comfort-wise I have found them exceptional; even better with the Salomon foot bed which I can now use having left the orthotic out.

I only had one bad moment grip-wise yesterday, coming off Gable. We took the racing line and I guess some of the rock is way less worn than on the main path. No damage done. On dry rock, the grip is simply outstanding, all that rubber acting like a road shoe. It's not bad on wet rock either. And the surprising thing is the grip on steep (wet) grass which is way better than you might expect.

The sole is so flat that it never bites back. The S Lab 4 has a an option of a softground sole which is more lugged, but the hardground sole is the one I have on the 3s and on Alpine terrain it is great. I wore these on a 2 day recce of the CCC course at the end of June with no problem of any sort, even on a wet second day.

I've been impressed. They aren't cheap but I think they do a very good job. I wouldn't have imagined a few months ago doing the CT in a pair of trail shoes, but they coped perfectly well.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Thanks Morgan that sounds promising - I'll have a good look at those.