Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mount Teide Tenerife

Mount Teide Tenerife

On Holiday Here Over Christmas ,just Wondering If Anyone Is There At Same Time And Fancies A Plod Up ?
    Looked Into It A Bit ,you Can Follow Tourist Route So Far ,but Then Need Permission To Go Higher.you Need To Give A Months Notice So If Anyone Is Interested Ill Make Necessary Plans.
    Also Has Anyone Else Done This And Wants To Give Some Input ,i Would Appreciate It..

Re: Mount Teide Tenerife

Admin ..might Have Dopped A B....ock Putting This Thread In Races How Do I Put It In Main Bit ?

You might find some of the info given about Mount Teide permits under the Canary Islands 3 Peaks Challenge useful. Click here http://www.gofar.org.uk and go to Over the Hill Series

Nice One ,read That About Setting Off Early In The Day To Reach Summit,and Best Time In Spring .will Have To Plan The Hours Right .have You Been Up And Down?how Long Did It Take ?

My wife and I walked Mount Teide a couple of years ago, before I started hill running. The difficulty and time it takes you to climb it is similar to that of Ben Nevis via the tourist path, but the Mount Teide path is less rocky if I remember well. (I assume you start from the main road and take the path to the Rifugio de Altavista.) When we climbed it, it was pretty hot during the first part of the climb (in September), but the temperature was more pleasant after that. It's quite a high mountain, so lack of oxigen/altitude sickness can be a problem.

We stayed in the Rifugio overnight, and left early to see sunrise. Sunrise wasn't as impressive as we'd hoped, but the good thing was that we didn't need a permit that early. So if you don't manage to get a permit, then set off well before sunrise and run as fast as you can ...

Top Tips ..i Was Going To Set Off Early To Beat The Heat.going To Leave Wife And Kids In Resort, So Should Be A Bit Quicker (and Quieter).
    Like The Sound Of Seeing The Sun Rise But I Think I Would Be Pushing An Overnight(unless I Faked An Injury But She Would Probably Think Ive Gone To Las Americas On The Beer)

We did it sea to summit so had to set off early as it's 12,000' high The first 4000' was on road and track so not particularly interesting . The more usual and sensible ascent is from the road at about 7-8000'. Not sure about the weather at that time of year though. The summit certainly gets snow but don't know how much of a problem that would be. The cicerone guide is worth looking at for route information.

Do You Know A Good Source For Maps ?
    Obviously Snow Could Stop Me In My Tracks But Id Go As Far As I Could Without Dropping Myself In It! Thats Why I Was Hoping A Forumite Was On There Holiday At Same Time For Safety.
    JUST ORDERED THAT CICERONE GUIDE BOOK THANKS !
    Last edited by owmeknee; 08-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.

I run up a few years back from somewhere on the north coast see level about 20 degrees and on top about -10 and a couple of feet of snow, I thought it potentially a lot more dodgy than the Ben as the top is a very big area, it does have a road nearby but closed in the winter.

How Long Did It Take You Rob ?