Thread: OMM PA1 Sleeping bag?

OMM PA1 Sleeping bag?

I was thinking of combining a down jacket and a OMM PA1 sleeping bag (to purchase) together as a sleeping system and warm top for the OMM and just wondered if others use this method or not?

My thought was a sleeping bag at 360g and a down jacket at 340g is a total of 700g give or take a bit of manufacturers ego.

The alternative fleece is 250g so the sleeping bag must be below 450g for it to weigh in at the same combined.

Have I missed anything here? I know you can get Radys bags and raidlight bags that are combined and lighter but I am guessing would be slightly colder as well?

Does anyone else already do this? if so how does it work for you? How warm would this be?

Re: OMM PA1 Sleeping bag?

i have done this for the last year - use a PA1 with OMM finch waist coat for warmer weather, and a Rab down nutrino jacket for colder climes..very light and versitile, allowing layering for comfort

Gucci - what is your overall carry weight target? interested to know....and does that exclude food and water..
    Run and become...

Looking for a light weight myself and considering this...

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_i...roducts_id=198

It would appear a little lighter than the OMM PA1

Quote Originally Posted by gucci View Post
    i have done this for the last year - use a PA1 with OMM finch waist coat for warmer weather, and a Rab down nutrino jacket for colder climes..very light and versitile, allowing layering for comfort
    How would you compare it with the Rab top bag? Quite a different concept I know but these are my two choices.

Since this post I have been offered the option of a top bag for £60 and at half the price of the OMM sack it is kinda winning out here. Got a Rab microlight alpine down jacket on the way so probably take both.

Bluebike - aiming for around 4kg including food. Not bothering with water as I am sure there will be plenty in the Lakes.

I was bang on 5kg at last mountain marathon despite being a solo so I reckon with losing 400g on sleeping system and warm top and sharing tent, stove, gas and using a lighter bag which is a further 200g I should hopefully be under 4.

Billy goat - I looked at that but I was worried about the ability to keep me warm? It seems to be only rated to 7 degrees? Loads of people seem to have good experience with them though.
    Last edited by AJF; 13-10-2008 at 10:18 PM.

i will be happy with about 4kg...will carry a small 500ml bottle...i didnt choose the bag purley on wieght, it was mainly because i always sleep in a down jacket, and it just made sense....there are plenty of reasons to go for a rab top bag or PHD if you dont wear as much on top as me....