Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JNC Route Choices

JNC Route Choices

There's excellent information on these forums here about BGR routes, but how about the JNC? I can't find much, and a mate of mine is planning on doing this on his 50th birthday weekend next year. I'm going to be supporting, possibly all the way as I'm sure it will be a great day out in the hills despite being a tad too young for it to 'count'.

We're going up for our first recce this weekend, planning on doing legs 1 and 2 over the two days. Neither of us are particularly familiar with this area of the Lakes but it looks fairly straightforward on the map once we get going. I've said that before and been proved completely wrong

The main thing is where to start! What's the usual route from Pooley Bridge to Arthurs Pike? Up the track past Roehead then cutting across SSW to join the Bridleway as it crosses Aik Beck, or along the road SW to Aik Beck and following this up?

Another bit I'm unclear on is leg 3 from Great End to Styhead. Is there a way off to the West to drop down onto the Corridor Route, or is the longer but runnable route back to Esk Hause the way to go?

Another other tips woud be gratefully received.

Master

Re: JNC Route Choices

Steve

keep us posted as I am 50 in a couple of weeks and have had The JN in my mind as a worthy challenge for next year. Is it a Nottingham team you are supporting? Id be pleased to help some reccying and support in the New Year.

From Pooley bridge go through the caravan site at Park Foot then follow the wall by Aik Beck to reach the main track.

From Great End go direct (north east) to find your way through the crags to join the main path. You can go back the way you came up Esk Hause but the over 50 time is quite tight so you need the quickest route.

Good Luck

Well that was a great weekend, the weather was fantastic, we were rarely in the cloud and had stunning views especially with the thin snow covering.

Leg one went well, I'm a little uncertain which nobbles exactly were Red Crag and Raven Howe but we went over all the bumps on that ridge to make sure we had them! Missed the best line down from Thornthwaite Crag but know where we should have gone. There's not a lot to Pike How is there? I'm assuming it's just the slight lump with a cairn about 100 metres to the left of the wall, but it's not what I'd bother calling a peak!

Day 2 was much easier to start now the path has been made up on Red Screes. I stupidly went along the more obvious looking path towards some walkers rather than checking the compass as we were in cloud at that point, but didn't go far out our way. It's a long way to Hart Crag! Not sure about best line there, but the route we took certainly worked out okay, contouring around the left side of Dove Crag. After that it was all familiar ground to me.

The 50's pacing does look fairly brisk, I'm sure we could have made it round those 2 legs on schedule if we'd have been enjoying the views less, but even so it looks tough especially knowing the more serious underfoot conditions isn't starting until half way round leg 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    From Pooley bridge go through the caravan site at Park Foot then follow the wall by Aik Beck to reach the main track.

From Great End go direct (north east) to find your way through the crags to join the main path. You can go back the way you came up Esk Hause but the over 50 time is quite tight so you need the quickest route.

Good Luck
    I'm also hoping to do the JNLC next year, so your route advice is of interest. But, my O.S map indicates that "From Great End go direct (north east) through the crags to join the main path" would appear to take you into a very difficult area, as your route would be heading over cliff's towards the path past Sprinking Tarn.

I thought there is a route West from Great End summit through the area marked "Lambsfoot Dub" on the OS, then onto the Corridor Route.

Please advise.

Tikeltum.

Yes, NE would be, ahem, interesting.

The actual direction is NNW and is basically a direct line to Styhead Tarn - Here's a link: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=322500&Y=509500&A=Y&Z=120

It's described as a way up Great End in the appropriate Wainright book, Southern Fells?

I can't comment on what it's like as I don't think I've ever done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Yes, NE would be, ahem, interesting.

The actual direction is NNW and is basically a direct line to Styhead Tarn - Here's a link: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=322500&Y=509500&A=Y&Z=120

It's described as a way up Great End in the appropriate Wainright book, Southern Fells?

I can't comment on what it's like as I don't think I've ever done it.
    It goes down and North from the most Westerly of Great Ends Tops into the top of Custs Gully then it zigzags down to the left (West) of it heading towards the ridge to the East of Skew Gill. When you get to the ridge you can either follow it down until a small col just above the Sprinkling Tarn path (don't keep following the ridge down it ends in crags) or head straight down to reach the path. (This would be quicker)

Its easier to find it going up first time as its only a small trod, if you get on the ridge East of Skew Gill its easy to follow.
    Last edited by Baggins; 17-11-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Got my North and Wests mixed up!
    Bill

That should be an interesting section to recce. Can't think that I have ever tipped myself that way off Great End.

North East looks like a death trap, unless its full-on winter, in which case the extreme skiers amongst our number (are there any out there) could go for the super-quick way down Central Gully or one of the others.

If anyone does go and have a look over the NW line, could they report back please.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    If anyone does go and have a look over the NW line, could they report back please.
    I will do Morgan
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    I will do Morgan
    Bill, sounds like you've already been, at least up, or are you just quoting Wainwright?

Don't forget your parachute.......
    Last edited by MorganW; 17-11-2008 at 05:28 PM.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.