Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Skiddaw Race

Re: Skiddaw Race

Lots of people in mudclaws and 212s and 190s.
    I went for my road shoes in the end and was glad I did so. A bit more comfort on the hard ground.
    Thanks to RO and marshalls and also the guy serving out the tea and coffee. Did a grand job.
    It's a bad plan if it can't be changed

I went for ordinary trail shoes but didn't think to change the elastic laces to normal ones for more a more secure hold. I got huge blisters on the base of both heels within minutes of starting the first steep section off the top and the rest of the descent was agony, must have lost at least 5 minutes due to not being able to fully let go. Oh well, another race, another lesson learned.

Did this on a whim (we were going camping anyway, so just steered us towards Keswick ), and discovered that training really does make a difference (have done nothing more than a 5 mile flat run for ages).

Uphill was a case of slowing down slightly because I thought I was going to pass out from the heat, while I then bounded gaily down (not as gaily as the lead female runner, who seemed to be smiling, but I'm pretty slow uphill so I usually overtake lots on the way down), until my quads suddenly dissolved. It's quite possible that my uphill time from the start to the Latrigg carpark beat my downhill!

I was having somewhat mixed emotions about the race, given it's the first time I haven't enjoyed ANY of a race during the race itself, but then I walked past a lady in a wheelchair, and reminded myself that just being able to run up and down Skiddaw is something I should enjoy in itself.

A great race which really suited me (fast running, not too much steep stuff). Shame about the scorching heat, I reckon 5 minutes quicker is possible on a cool day.

I probably saw you nutkey as i was around the ladies winner on the descent.