Thread: Personal Accident Insurance

Personal Accident Insurance

Right, I'm a self employed builder and I'm after some personal accident insurance - you know, just incase I cut my thumb off, or fall head first of a scaffold - I also want it to cover sports - ie; all types of running including fell running, and other sports that I might do occasionally such as mountain biking, climbing and skiing.

So far I've had a quote for £648 - I was thinking that this was possibly a tad on the expensive side.

My question - Has anyone else got personal accident insurance which covers fell running and could you recommend a good insurance company + policy?

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

Re: Personal Accident Insuranc

I have no expertise whatsoever, just an observation:

If you want life or critical illness cover, participation in fell running and mountain biking are surely neither here nor there. Isn't there a box on the form which you have to tick if you do a dangerous sport? As fell running isn't all that dangerous surely a bog standard policy would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Right, I'm a self employed builder and I'm after some personal accident insurance - you know, just incase I cut my thumb off, or fall head first of a scaffold - I also want it to cover sports - ie; all types of running including fell running, and other sports that I might do occasionally such as mountain biking, climbing and skiing.

So far I've had a quote for £648 - I was thinking that this was possibly a tad on the expensive side.

My question - Has anyone else got personal accident insurance which covers fell running and could you recommend a good insurance company + policy?

Many thanks in advance.

Many thanks in advance.
    Few years ago ('bout 8 I recall) I got some fixed term life insurance to cover rock-climbing as a sport at a good rate from the Prudential . Spoke to local office and quoted quote (is that a tautology?) I'd got from Britannia Building Soc (I think they use Guardian) which was a right rip off Recall Pru offer premiums about half of guardian.
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    If you want life or critical illness cover, participation in fell running and mountain biking are surely neither here nor there. Isn't there a box on the form which you have to tick if you do a dangerous sport? As fell running isn't all that dangerous surely a bog standard policy would do.
    I do the puns Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I have no expertise whatsoever, just an observation:

recent life cover policies usually want to know about high risk sports like diving, parachuteing, etc, i have to pay a little more for caving. the quote you were given! a tad dear, bloody hell your restrained!

i used to use a company called 'combined insurance company of america', (cica) presume there still around, they covered speedway riders, and had no excess for any activity at any time!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

i would rather give the money to MRT as they are the ones who will get us out of trouble in the first place after all without them you would be well struggling.. thanks to them for the supposrt they give us with the races and the rest

Might be worth speaking to the BMC? I've had insurance via them thru' membership, which did give you a certain amount of basic cover - at the time I think the concern was how much you would get charged for being helicoptered off the mountain in the Alps..

Good Luck...... in my limited experiance, the B*stard Insurers promise you the Earth and give you Sweet FA when you try and claim!!