Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stairmasters

Stairmasters

Has anyone used these as a part of a regular training program??

I live in a pretty flat area and can only really get to the hills of a weekend, however am completely hill unfit nowadays. My flat speed is increasing but that's not much cop when it comes to a chuffing bill hill!

I was introduced to the Stairmaster at the gym last week and went of just for 10 minutes just to 'see' It was actually pretty good. It's not one of the little step things where you go like the clappers but the steps are the depth and width of those on an escalator

Anyway I have an just under an hour on a tuesday evening in the gym as 2 of my children go to a sports session there so today I did a 5km run on the dreadmill in a PB so was thrilled with that then after getting my breath back went on this thing for half an hour.

I chose an aerobic program based on my weight etc at quite a high level (levels go up to 20)and off it went. After 10 minutes I was getting the hang of it and the climbing was quite steady, after 15 minutes it was getting a bit hard work after half an hour the legs were screaming!!

Apparenty I travelled over 3 miles of continuous stepping of which the speed and resistence continually changed but I suppose due to the level I chose even the easy bit was pretty hard!

I just wondered does anyone else use these and have you found it useful?? I know it's no substitute to the real thing but then what is?! It must of be of some benefit surely or my legs wouldn't be hurting!

Re: Stairmasters

I'd have thought you'd knacker your knees up if you weren't careful? Don't forget cycling is good for hills as well - you got a turbo trainer?

No expert on these cos i hate gyms, but if it's hard work and it hurts it must be doing you some good, owt's better than nowt in my book. Some expert will post and contradict me
    And point you in the right direction
    Been out tonight with CVFR juniors doing hill sprints and i'm pooped
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I'd have thought you'd knacker your knees up if you weren't careful? Don't forget cycling is good for hills as well - you got a turbo trainer?

I have yes but I also have 3 kids and the 2 don't always go well together! Just thought this may be a good thing to do at least once a week given the time restraints I have

I sometimes use this in the gym, I reckon its great fro climb training as it really works the quads. Sometimes I drop into hands on knee's fell runner mode and get some funny looks in the gym. The waterfall of sweat running the steps also gets some funny looks.

I think the machine in my gym has a 45 minute max time setting and if I remember correctly I could manage around 250 floors each having ten steps. So I roughly worked it out at not 2500ft of climb cos its indoors and easier but about 2000ft of climb.

TBH I did not use it for a long enough period ie run of weeks to get any benefit.

Guess that has not been much help.

Cheers
    Jamie

Work it girl, work it!!

Thanks Jamie,

I did half an hour last night and over 300 floors so I'll try longer next time and try various programs to see which works best or is more suitable!

It must have worked something as my glutes are aching today

I know what you mean re the 'style' of stepping - a guy next to me last night was leaning all over the machine and resting on the handles but I managed to do it with my hands on my waist or thighs as figured I won't have any handrails going up the fells!!

Emm, not seen one of these m/c, but half an hour sounds like a long time to me, if you were outside doing hill reps they would be short with recovery runs,so why not try say 5 min, then go on treadmill for an easy run and repeat. I think you would get the same benefits without the lactic build up and not have knackered legs. Does sound like a good m/c if you are restricted for time.
    Stephen Batley Skyrac AC,
    Specific,Measurable,Attainable,Relevant and Time-Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Big Compass View Post
    Emm, not seen one of these m/c, but half an hour sounds like a long time to me, if you were outside doing hill reps they would be short with recovery runs,so why not try say 5 min, then go on treadmill for an easy run and repeat. I think you would get the same benefits without the lactic build up and not have knackered legs. Does sound like a good m/c if you are restricted for time.
    That's a good idea but guess I was looking at it from the angle if I was walking up Great Gable I wouldn't get chance for a flat recovery I suppose I'm conscious given WORK I don't get the hill training in that I used to.

I don't even have a local hill to do reps on therefore my evening runs are an out and back or a looped very flat one.

Great to meet you on Friday Big Compass