Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stairmasters

Re: Stairmasters

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    I went to Woolworths at lunchtime, and they've started selling off things like shelving, counters, staff lockers, staff etc

I'm going to put an offer in on the escalators.
    no there's a thought - except our Woolies is all on 1 level reckon those pick n mix tubs would come in handy though!

Time to resuscitate this thread.

I have been injured for last 5 months and have lost some fitness and all enthusiasm. The weather hasn't been great either. I keep seeing these machines in the gym and wondering should I give them a go. Reading back this thread seems a good idea. Anyone uses these as a part of their training and can recommend a workout to get fitter and faster on the climbs?

_|_
    ./\.

I use these in combination with a treadmill for most of my training. Definitely helps me fitness wise, and a good session on there leaves me in a right state... although doesn't necessarily translate to climbing ability on the fells... Usually do my main run on the treadmill, then anything between 15 and 40 mins on the stair machine as fast as I can keep up for that time, usually around level 14-15...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Location: Sunderland, Adnan? I think I have found a stairmaster a few miles down the coast from you: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2013755

Super Moderator
    That looks ace. Good spot ak

I have been using the Stenar version.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Location: Sunderland, Adnan? I think I have found a stairmaster a few miles down the coast from you: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2013755
    Thanks Anthony, will go down and have a go

_|_
    ./\.

I had a go on the machine last night. 5 minutes on max (20) missing out the middle steps then 5 minutes on 13-15. Quads were burning, I was sweating so it must be doing something. or maybe I am just too unfit atm

_|_
    ./\.

Quote Originally Posted by NotOnUrHelly View Post
    I sometimes use this in the gym, I reckon its great fro climb training as it really works the quads. Sometimes I drop into hands on knee's fell runner mode and get some funny looks in the gym. The waterfall of sweat running the steps also gets some funny looks.

I think the machine in my gym has a 45 minute max time setting and if I remember correctly I could manage around 250 floors each having ten steps. So I roughly worked it out at not 2500ft of climb cos its indoors and easier but about 2000ft of climb.

TBH I did not use it for a long enough period ie run of weeks to get any benefit.

Guess that has not been much help.

Cheers
    Jamie
    Jamie so its about 10ft per floor? On my 3rd attempt I managed 30 minutes and did about 200 floors (3200 steps) so I take it its somewhere between 1600-2000ft of climb? Think this machine and I going to be friends for a couple of months

_|_
    ./\.

There's a challenge at my gym at the moment which is to "climb the Eiffel Tower" in the fastest time. It's a bit of a farce with people whacking it up to 18 or 19 then hanging on for dear life with their arms taking most of the weight on the handles, and their legs barely doing anything, but it's all for charity....

2731 steps. I did it 'properly' at the end of a hard training session and took about 23 minutes, although could easily be done faster with fresh legs.