Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Derwent Watershed... warping?

Re: Derwent Watershed... warpi

The bog got us as well. We reenacted that scene from 'Ice Cold in Alex ' where the spy tries to bury the radio transmitter in the quicksand. Marko played the spy. I played Sylvia Sims.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    The bog got us as well. We reenacted that scene from 'Ice Cold in Alex ' where the spy tries to bury the radio transmitter in the quicksand. Marko played the spy. I played Sylvia Sims.
    Bottomless pit! Was still being sucked under, waist+ deep, when RC pals grabbed me... would have been much deeper in mire, had not rucksack caught on side of bog!
    Well done Grouse

Sounds even madder now i've seen how you got on. Well done to you all. No need to book something up quick for this time next year - don't think I'll be tempted!! (sorry )

This years DW has also put paid to Alcohol free period.... 10 days & counting... now in ruins, off to pub, to snooze & booze!!!

(Socks..... by this time year you will have forgotten how bad it might have been!)....

I got drafted in to replace a team member with a broken ankle and hadn't really got enough mileage into my legs this year. This showed by around Bleaklow summit when the cold and damp got to me and we slowed dramatically.

Definitely very boggy, though I found that section up to the summit of Bleaklow trudging through the peat hags the hardest, perhaps I had been led to believe that the man-eating bogs of Outer Edge were worse than they really were. Maybe we just got a good line.

Snake Pass to the finish was little more than a quick walk. Eventually finished in just short of 13hrs. Slept rather well last night!!

Bob

The bog had me as well, had to be hauled out by two people. One of them had tryed to warn me but I was not paying close enough attenchen to what they said. Talking to people afterwards the locals all knew which bit I had been in, so it clearly grabs many a person. It just liiks like all the rest where it's only shin deep, but you tread in it and your up to your waist.

Ifor

The section from Cut Gate to Outer Edge is utterly appauling and at this time of year quite dangerous. Maybe we were the team who helped pull you out?
    Done them all !!

I was a spectator to the closing stages of this madness, sorry - race! I went for a pleasant jog around the Edale Skyline and some of the people coming over Brown Knoll looked rather tired...

It was all rather convenient actually as I'd forgotten to take any water but they gave me some at one of the checkpoints :-)

Well done everyone.
    I got drafted into a team by a phone call Thursday afternoon. Didn't really know what to expect. Never have I run through such boggy conditions. All good fun though, and we even got a bit of snow.

Joe- I think we bumped into you at about 7am. Mark and Steve said hello to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Brum View Post
    Never have I run through such boggy conditions. All good fun though, and we even got a bit of snow.
    Yes - it was a bit boggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt the Brum View Post
    Joe- I think we bumped into you at about 7am. Mark and Steve said hello to you.
    7am? Goodness gracious no!!
    I started about 9am and spoke to a couple of guys from the first team in the car park - I think one was Mark Hartell - then set off round the skyline, started passing teams at around 11:30 at Hollins Cross until say 12:30 at the top of Jacob's Ladder.

Anyway, well done everyone who got round!