Thread: Age, training and performance.

Age, training and performance.

15 years ago, I was at the peak of my running performance. I was keen as mustard, training 50+ miles a week, cycling 80+ miles a week, doing lots of speed and interval work. I was doing Classic A Longs, 3 Peaks and Scottish Islands yacht races. I managed 5th in the Welsh Champs
    At that time, I had a regular lunchtime run. It was a mix of some fast road, steep hill and some off road. There was a measured last mile. On an average day, I did that route in 35 mins with a 5.30-5.40 last mile.

Now, here I am just teetering on the edge of becoming SV, training no more than 15 miles a week, no speed work, racing occasionally. By chance, work took me back to my old haunt and so for interests sake I did that lunchtime run. It took 39 mins and I did that last mile in 6.07. I was amazed...I thought I'd much furher off than that. So perhaps age does not wither us as much as we thought??

But now I wonder, what was all that training for?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master

Re: Age, training and performa

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    15 years ago, I was at the peak of my running performance. I was keen as mustard, training 50+ miles a week, cycling 80+ miles a week, doing lots of speed and interval work. I was doing Classic A Longs, 3 Peaks and Scottish Islands yacht races. I managed 5th in the Welsh Champs
    At that time, I had a regular lunchtime run. It was a mix of some fast road, steep hill and some off road. There was a measured last mile. On an average day, I did that route in 35 mins with a 5.30-5.40 last mile.

Now, here I am just teetering on the edge of becoming SV, training no more than 15 miles a week, no speed work, racing occasionally. By chance, work took me back to my old haunt and so for interests sake I did that lunchtime run. It took 39 mins and I did that last mile in 6.07. I was amazed...I thought I'd much furher off than that. So perhaps age does not wither us as much as we thought??

But now I wonder, what was all that training for?
    Wheeze I'd be interested to know if you're any heavier now, because if you are, then the answer to your end question is probably not a lot.

He's all scrawny skin and bone (and proud of it) - look at his picture that OBW put on the other thread .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

This was likened similarly on radio 4 yesterday in relation to singing. Now while I appreciate it is slightly different the point made was that if something is kept up there is less likelihood that it will deterioate massively with age.

i.e the vocal cords are a muscle and if you were a singer in your 'youth' then have a complete break when you go back to it then that muscle needs re educating hence the 'warble' they were refering to in older singers.

any.......way, they were saying the same for runners - if you consistantly ran/run and don't have years of a break then the likliehood of you still mamaging a marathon in your 80's was pretty high as opposed to those that only started running later in life...

although I'm sure there are much more scientific reasons!!

CL, I'm probably about the same weight give or take a few pounds.

Actually, where the lack of regular training/age has probably told is in long distance performance. At my peak, I could do the Black Mountains (17-18 miles, 4,500ft) in 2.50. This year took 3.49. Was very slow in the middle climbs.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Well, the fella up the road told me that you old fellas should slow down a bit. Give the young guns a chance! (Have you watched NAYLORS RUN ? )