Page 102 of 264 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2639

Thread: Tonight's Real Ale

Re: Tonight's Real Ale

The Goldie almost ran out of beer last weekend cos of a 'Family Day'! Landlord borrowed some ale from elsewhere which included York Brewery Northern Fury. Very tasty. I've been trying to get him to take some York beers for ages - always went down very well when we had our pub. Yorkshire Terrier being the best one!

Thought I'd get the boiler out for this:

OLD BREWERY BITTER Samuel Smith Tadcaster.

5 gallon batch OG 1037 ABV 4% 27 EBU

MARIS OTTER PALE MALT 3550 gms
    CRYSTAL MALT 354 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes
    FUGGLES 26 gms
    GOLDINGS 27 gms

Anyone who has sampled Old Brewery will know the predominant taste is of TOFFEE. Sam Smiths says this comes from the yeast. To replicate this in homebrewing I use a technique I picked up in ZYMURGY magazine. Take 2 pints of UNHOPPED wort from your boiler and heat in a saucepan on the stove,It must be boiled vigorously on a high heat, STIR CONTINUOUSLY to avoid burning, within about 15 minutes the wort will start to thicken to a syrupy consistency and the desired caramel flavours should be apparent. Add this syrup to the main batch of wort in your boiler.

If you can still obtain BREW LABS YORKSHIRE ALE Yeast use that. Nope, so I'll have to use Nottingham.
    Ready to drink in 3 weeks.

Good to be back supping some decent ale last night....

Copper Dragon - Golden Pippin
    Empire - Dogs Bollocks
    Bowland - Gold
    Hopstar - Dizzy Danny
    Rossendale - World Cup

Another fine evening at the Collie. Pete A, Simon R and Neil P decided to pace Vic B on a race to the top and back - no records broken though. The rest of us took it easy in the heat. Boggart 'Crystal Ruby', Three Tuns 'Solstice' and an ale called 'Ben Nevis' which I think the landlord found specially for our Friday night running group.

Question for the ale experts, please? I have a bottle of Lakeland Gold and one of Red in the cupboard. Is it sacrilege if I put them in the fridge to drink this afternoon? Which one would be better to drink cool? Ta

Quote Originally Posted by Hyporunner View Post
    Question for the ale experts, please? I have a bottle of Lakeland Gold and one of Red in the cupboard. Is it sacrilege if I put them in the fridge to drink this afternoon? Which one would be better to drink cool? Ta
    I was very lucky to have been given a case of each a couple of months ago as one of our fields was used as a changeover in an MTB/fell running duathlon. The organiser showed his appreciation in the best possible manner. In my opinion in this weather room temperature is a little warm for any beer - half an hour in the fridge should cool them down a bit but not too much. The Gold will take a bit more cooling than the Red. Leave them in for a couple of hours or more and you'll mask the flavour! Of course one of the reasons lager is drunk so cold is to mask the flavour. Just try some lukewarm Carlingsberg and you'll see what I mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    I was very lucky to have been given a case of each a couple of months ago as one of our fields was used as a changeover in an MTB/fell running duathlon. The organiser showed his appreciation in the best possible manner. In my opinion in this weather room temperature is a little warm for any beer - half an hour in the fridge should cool them down a bit but not too much. The Gold will take a bit more cooling than the Red. Leave them in for a couple of hours or more and you'll mask the flavour! Of course one of the reasons lager is drunk so cold is to mask the flavour. Just try some lukewarm Carlingsberg and you'll see what I mean!
    THat sounds like very good advice for me. Half an hour is just the right amount of time, to put one in when you take one out ready for when you've finished and are ready for another

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    THat sounds like very good advice for me. Half an hour is just the right amount of time, to put one in when you take one out ready for when you've finished and are ready for another
    In weather like this would the first one last that long?

Hmmm possibly not. Best put two at a time in, just in case

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Thanks WH, just what I was after. Just catching up with this post again, as just after I originally posted it we had a powercut, so thought it best not to open the fridge!! If the warm weather continues next week (SLMM this weekend) I'll try them then.

If I do find that two aren't enough, I may have to dip into the parent's gift pack I bought for them