Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sacrifice

Re: Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Then by your standards, going to the toilet during a good film is a sacrifice.You're sacrificing the film for the need to relieve yourself.
    You seem to drive every discussion in circles. In my view it's about weighing up choices and deciding which choice you want to make at the expense of other options.

I really shouldn't let you get to me, and for that reason, I'm out.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sacrifice

3 a: destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else b: something given up or lost <the sacrifices made by parents>

Seems to fit to me.

I think the word sacrifice applies pretty well to WWI, given that many many soldiers were 'sacrificed' to machine guns and artilliary because fundamentally tactics hadn't moved out of the 19th century. After 4years they finally found the way to do it but by then an estimated 8 million soldiers had been killed and almost 20 million wounded

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    War is hell.
    I agree with you Ml, although I haven't experienced it thank god. My dad did though and went into Normandy on D day plus 6, soon after spent two weeks trapped in a cellar in Caen forward spotting artilliary in what from all accounts was an awful battle and was later part of the XXX Corp that tried (and failed) to break through to Arnhem. From a photo he showed me once, about a third of his 20 pals going into Normandy didn't make it to the end. That said in many respects not only was the war hell to him and his friends but it was also perversely 'the best time of their lives'. I never got to the bottom of it while he was alive but he was promoted to and busted from corporal 3 times along the way

By the way my father never once uttered one word about his WWII experiences - this was all related to me by one of his mates after his funeral.
    Last edited by Stolly; 11-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.

"Respect" : What does that mean in Ayn Rand-speak Christopher Leigh?
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"