Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sacrifice

Re: Sacrifice

Well I don't think that is entirely true, because I think we were remembering the soldiers who were conscripted, went to war unwillingly and died as well, and I would also say also the deserters who were shot (there but for the grace of God...), also of course, those who joined up willingly at the start of the war believing it would all be over by Christmas. Personally I believe that very few of them went to war for the benefit of the ideals they held, though I think this was very different in the second world war. Is it as valid to say that they were victims as that they made a scrifice, especially so if they were conscripted, many of them certainly died unnecessarily through incompetent leadership. I think Daz's point is good - we should not question so much but remember - these were our our relatives, and fellow human beings and the main point of remembrance - it certainly was in the years following the Great War - was to prevent it from happening again.
    Last edited by Margarine; 10-11-2008 at 06:54 PM.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

Of course they went to war knowing they would die. The fact that hardly any of the men that went before where coming home told them so.
    Not sure about that one Daz,men were told the war would only last a couple of months.They didn't realise what a huge battle was about to be fought hence the need for conscription after reality hit home.
    I don't think CL is trying to belittle the efforts of veterans,anything but,i think he is trying to work out whether they consider themselves to have given sacrifices.
    I am personally thankful of the SACRIFICES they gave in many forms to give themselves and future generations freedom.I consider the efforts of them all as sacrifices but i can see how the word can have debatable meanings.

I salute all servicemen and women throughout history.
    War is hell.
    Hills and Guinness!

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    War is hell.
    War! What is it good for?

It's good for business....

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    War! What is it good for?
    Wrong song?
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_d8C4AIFgUg

All we are saying...
    Is give peas a chance.

Oops sorry wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Would you then say that by going to work you sacrifice being at home?
    Absolutely. I had a choice: I have chosen a career that means it's hard to work from home. Others choose careers where they can work from home or work outdoors.

For me, this means that I can have a nice house, great holidays and can support my wife's career choices, but don't spend as much time as I would like at home. Sometimes I have days where I question my choice, but don't we all?!

My neighbour works 14 days per month and spends the rest of the time at home with his kids. He has sacrificed money for more of a home life.

My brother works for 6 week blocks and uses the money to fund a climbing trip. He has sacrificed the idea of 'home' for the ability to have fun on rocks.

The Last Post was well timed.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

I predict 10 pages of going round and round. I'm sacrificing looking at this thread again for my sanity.