Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money or cricket - what to do.

Money or cricket - what to do.

Right im in a dilemma and need some opinions.

From about april to september, i play cricket for my village and i love it. I open the bowling for the first team and last season was dont ok (im tripe at batting though).
    Since starting uni, i've needed money...so i applied to get a part time job at sainsburys. Today they phoned me up offereing me a job.

So, if i was to work at sainsburys i would be working either sat or sunday (As well as during the week). Cricket is on saturday and as you all know races are usually sunday.

Also, i need to learn to drive and buy a car which is a couple of grand for a car, around two grand for insurance, lessons which are about £20 each.

Ive got a student loan for my fees so dont need to worry about that, ive got to pay my mum and dad bed and board, my phone contract, bus to uni and obviously other general things you need here and there.

So what should i do, have a year off cricket, earn money and keep sundays free for races. Or continue cricket and work sundays and only race for when i can.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 12-11-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Re: Money or cricket - what to

Buying a car and spending 2K on insurance () are not usually student priorties...............pass you test and then you are in a postion to borrow fathers! Try and get evening work so you can enjoy weekends - life is always a balance.RU doing the full tour on Sat Al?

Do the job untill April and then quit!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Right im in a dilemma and need some opinions.

From about april to september, i play cricket for my village and i love it. I open to bowling for the first team and last season was dont ok (im tripe at batting though).
    Since starting uni, i've needed money...so i applied to get a part time job at sainsburys. Today they phoned me up offereing me a job.

So, if i was to work at sainsburys i would be working either sat or sunday (As well as during the week). Cricket is on saturday and as you all know races are usually sunday.

Also, i need to learn to drive and buy a car which is a couple of grand for a car, around two grand for insurance, lessons which are about £20 each.

Ive got a student loan for my fees so dont need to worry about that, ive got to pay my mum and dad bed and board, my phone contract, bus to uni and obviously other general things you need here and there.

So what should i do, have a year off cricket, earn money and keep sundays free for races. Or continue cricket and work sundays and only race for when i can.
    What about having a year off cricket and racing and concentrate on your grammar and spelling instead Al

Joking apart you're obviously a gifted lad and I suspect only you can decide and it's a heart not a head job i.e which do you want to do most? Bear in mind also that you'll be able to do both for many years to come

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Bear in mind also that you'll be able to do both for many years to come
    Only if he gets a job like yours

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Buying a car and spending 2K on insurance () are not usually student priortiesenjoy weekends - life is always a balance.RU doing the full tour on Sat Al?
    It is a priotity because when im on my work placement, being able to drive is a nessesaty.
    I will also be working evenings during the week. I think its wednesdays, friday and sat or sun.
    And for your 'eek' of the 2k insurance...thats if i get a small engine...i know friends who's insurance is nearly 3k.

Ive already been told im not going on either of my mum or dads insurance, or using their cars (dad drives a van)...which is fair enough

No im not doing the full tour because i dont think my legs are up to it yet, 18 miles or what ever it is is a tad too far for me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    What about having a year off cricket and racing and concentrate on your grammar and spelling instead Al
    )
    Tell me about it, im terrible at my grammar...but so are the majority of people my age to be honest.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 12-11-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.G View Post
    Do the job untill April and then quit!
    That is something to keep in mind actually.

It is a priotity because when im on my work placement, being able to drive is a nessesaty.
    I will also be working evening during the week. I think its wednesdays, friday and sat or sun.
    And for you 'eek' of the 2k insurance...thats if i get a small engine...i know friends who's insurance is nearly 3k.

No im not doing the full tour because i dont think my legs are up to it yet, 18 miles or what ever it is is a tad too far for me yet.

Tell me about it, im terrible at my grammar...but so are the majority of people my age to be honest.
    More reason to sort it then!

No excuse, it's not okay just because the majority are terrible!

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    More reason to sort it then!

No excuse, it's not okay just because the majority are terrible!
    Very ture, i think my main problem is that i dont check anything after ive writen it

Very ture, i think my main problem is that i dont check anything after ive writen it
    That's the difference between a good grade and an average grade. It's all in the detail.....don't you just pity my children