Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kirkby Moor

Kirkby Moor

A good day for a run under the wind turbines and
    a good turnout, 80ish rather than the usual 60. I felt I needed to start this thread to give Mr Noor some applause for his second place, as I know he is far too shy and retiring to mention it himself. Tom Addison was way out in front though. And the winners of the team prize were... Ambleside. Felt I had to mention that as well.

Thanks to all the marshalls and organizers and the ladies at the end who gave us a lovely cup of tea.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Re: Kirkby Moor

I enjoyed it too, despite taking a couple of minutes longer than last year. Lost the route for a time after the road on the way back and ended up galumphing through the heather instead of taking the path to the right or the wall to the left. Duh!

Kirkby Moor

Hi All

New on here and new to fellrunning, I am planning on taking part in this this race (1st proper one) http://www.bcrunners.org.uk/races/kirkbymoor

I wondered if anyone else is doing it or has done it previously ? I have had a look at the map and wanted some advice on the best route as I am not familiar with the area. I guess its just a matter of finding the shortest route between the points,so far on memory map the best I have got is well in excess of the suggested 6 miles

If anyone one could offer any advice that would be great,

PS sorry if this thread is in the wrong place I couldn't decide between here or the beginners section.

Re: Kirkby Moor Sat 27/11

Welcome. I haven't done it before but the 48 mins for 6 miles and 1600' suggests the figures are pretty accurate. I would do two things while waiting for a reply. Look at 25000 map coverage and fly the route on Google Earth looking for runners' trods.

I've only done this one a couple of times but I have had reasonable weather and I think it could be quite a difficult route to navigate if the clag was down. For quite a bit of the race you are on tracks and paths but some of it is quite featureless moorland type terrain so it can be confusing. Not a problem in good weather of course, best route between checkpoints is then fairly obvious when you can see. As far as I can remember the only place where people take any diffrent lines is leaving the last but one checkpoint - its featureless ground and after leaving the control and crossing the road you have a choice of contouring round a bit or dropping in to a little valley a bit sooner and running along it. The valley is faster running, the contour is more direct - your choice of course! Apart from the start its fairly flat and fast. Enjoy.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Take the valley. I remember having to gallumph through high heather when I chose the other option.

The race was run in great conditions..a light covering of fresh snow coupled with lovely sunshine and crackin' views of the fells beyond. T'was a Helm Hill Runners clean-up!

Results (photographed with mobile phone)...

Attachment 4206Attachment 4207

Gutted I didnt make it

I had to take my little one to climbing club as my wife is allergic to driving with the slightest hint of white stuff.

The 2010 Kirkby Moor results are up on the Black Combe site and there will be a writeup in the evening Mail tomorrow (Monday).

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    Take the valley. I remember having to gallumph through high heather when I chose the other option.
    so let me get this right, the best line from c5 - c6 is not the direct line but head for the shooting butts on to the path and round the wall to c6?