Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Birmingham 2022

Birmingham 2022

Anyone got tickets for any events.

I've got some for the Rugby Sevens at the Coventry Stadium on the 30th.

Just have to get there now!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Is that at the CBS (Ricoh) Arena? Or the Coventry RFC ground?

You've confused me even more. It says Coventry Stadium on the tickets and I think the Arena is next door to it.

It's on Judds Lane apparently!

The organisers say its going to be a carbon neutral games. They have sent me a travel plan from my home address. Walk to the nearest bus stop, change buses in Bakewell, bus to Matlock, train to Derby, train to Coventry and bus to Stadium.

Obviously a box ticking load of bollocks. I'd have to set off at least 7 hours prior to the event to make sure I get there by 6pm and probably would not get home until Sunday afternoon if was lucky.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well as I have a B post code, I was offered early tickets but couldn't get anything affordable (when I'm paying for 4 adults).
    I could have still got hockey, basketball and beach volleyball recently but frankly, I'm not bothered. The only one of my immediate family to get a ticket was my eldest daughter who ironically is going to the indoor cycling as she lives about 3 miles away from the London Olympic velodrome.
    I still plan to take some time off and ride out to watch the road cycling which is of course free but have given up trying to get tickets for anything I'd like to see.
    Last edited by PeteS; 19-07-2022 at 11:14 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I wonder why they didn't use the Derby Velodrome. A third of the distance to London.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    You've confused me even more. It says Coventry Stadium on the tickets and I think the Arena is next door to it.

The organisers say its going to be a carbon neutral games. They have sent me a travel plan from my home address. Walk to the nearest bus stop, change buses in Bakewell, bus to Matlock, train to Derby, train to Coventry and bus to Stadium.

Obviously a box ticking load of bollocks. I'd have to set off at least 7 hours prior to the event to make sure I get there by 6pm and probably would not get home until Sunday afternoon if was lucky.

Yes thats the Ricoh Arena... or as it is now known the "Coventry Building Society Arena/Stadium"

It is only about a mile off the M6, however it pays to know where you are going, parking, etc, in advance.

Parking there can be somewhat problematic, and the public transport round there is a running joke in Coventry.

Basically you can't park on the streets within about a 1.5 mile radius of the ground... if you want to park on the street then i can advise the closest places you can get to without restrictions. There are car parks around the ground, both official and non-official, of varying cost.

If you're coming by train then you'll find yourself at Cov main station. There is a train to the Ricoh Arena but it runs about once an hour at best, and is only two carriages long. I don't know what crowds will be like for the rugby, but for Cov football matches the station is a non-starter and i believe they don't even run the trains closest to start/end of matches due to potential congestion. An utter shambles.... the stadium was sold to the public of Coventry as a "public transport accessible" venue, but that never materialised... its regularly rated by away fans as one of the worst matchday experiences in the upper divisions.

There are buses from the centre of the city out to the Arena/Retail Park.

Its rather a shame that the rugby is not being held at the Cov RFC Rugby ground... while it is a far smaller capacity, it is a traditional rugby club, right on the edge of the city centre, and numerous decent pubs and eating options nearby.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Of course, if I was doing this, I would cycle to Matlock, put my bike on the trains, and cycle from Coventry station to the stadium. I'm sure Travs can advise on the probability of the bike not being vandalised or stolen (even if securely locked) in that location.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Of course, if I was doing this, I would cycle to Matlock, put my bike on the trains, and cycle from Coventry station to the stadium. I'm sure Travs can advise on the probability of the bike not being vandalised or stolen (even if securely locked) in that location.
    If I was going alone I might have given it ago but even so the matches don't finish until at least 10pm so would still be a struggle getting home.

I might even be hotfooting it from South Wales yet, if I feel up for doing the Brecon Beacons race!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I wonder why they didn't use the Derby Velodrome. A third of the distance to London.
    They could have used the outdoor Halesowen one too! ;-)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it, put it that way!!