Page 2931 of 2964 FirstFirst ... 19312431283128812921292929302931293229332941 ... LastLast
Results 29,301 to 29,310 of 29639

Thread: Quiet Around Here

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Well, it was Quiet Around There....Llanidloes on a Sunday afternoon that is. Dropped by for a refreshing cuppa and to pay my respects to Mrs Gough after caning it around some the best driving roads in the world! (Officially!!)
    The main drag was deserted. Pub tables sat empty in the bright spring sunshine. Truly the "dead" centre of Wales. Loved it!
    Llani Boy obviously wasn't back on his native patch if it was that quiet.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Well, it was Quiet Around There....Llanidloes on a Sunday afternoon that is. Dropped by for a refreshing cuppa and to pay my respects to Mrs Gough after caning it around some the best driving roads in the world! (Officially!!)
    The main drag was deserted. Pub tables sat empty in the bright spring sunshine. Truly the "dead" centre of Wales. Loved it!
    Ah, you must be talking about the late Mrs Gough of Travellers Rest fame. No messing about with her. I recall numerous Sunday morning hangover fry ups in her establishment. One of her many children, I think she had 8, Michael, was a pal of mine at school.
    The Travellers Rest was made famous by Michael Winner who featured it in one of his last Winners Dinners columns in the Sunday Times. He didn't give it the highest rating but I am sure his death shortly after was nothing to do with his visit!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Indeed I was.
    Back in mists of time I used to commute from Bangor to Cardiff on a Honda C90. The Travellers Rest was my beacon of hope, safety and refuge! A half way recovery stop to ease the aching limbs! Many years later I took our cycling tour there with a framed photo of Mrs Gough to give to her in thanks. Was devastated to find she had just passed away! Couldnt bear to go in now!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Travellers Rest is certainly a well-used pub name...

My 'local' and the team I played football for many years for, was the Travellers Rest in Bedworth (hence the name 'Travs') had many a riotous night there (and elsewhere), usually ending up in dreading to go back in there the next day/week. We were a decent team though, and one of the more successful teams in the league who were simply a pub team, rather than based from a sports club or a proper setup. Considering we only trained once a week, and that usually ended up in fisticuffs/injuries it was quite remarkable how we progressed.

Considering at one time it was such a large part of my life, it's amazing that I've only been in there once in the past year. Although it has to be said, overall i'm glad I moved on from hacking around playing football.

It's also certainly not as well located as the Travellers Rests at Grasmere or Glenridding, nor Llanidloes.

The Travellers Rest in Llani was/is not a pub but a cafe/restaurant/greasy spoon but would still have many stories to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    The Travellers Rest in Llani was/is not a pub but a cafe/restaurant/greasy spoon but would still have many stories to tell!
    How right you are, many happy memories of Mrs Gough sat at her table by the door, selling fishing tickets and breakfasts.
    Haven't been in for years, since we moved, a legend in her time.

I was quite familiar with the 'dead towns' of mid-Wales in my younger years...

'When I were a lad' we had a clapped out Cortina, and certainly couldn't afford to go abroad on holiday, so generally went to Wales for a week in the summer holidays. Unfortunately the Cortina couldn't be trusted on the motorway, so we had to go cross-country every time. This usually made journeys into a bit of an epic.

So became quite familiar with various Llandoverys/Lampeters/Leominsters/Rhayaders/Llangurig/Ruthin/Brecon/etc, on our way to Prestatyn/Lleyn/Cardigan Bay/Little Haven/Tenby etc...

The same as when we headed eastwards to Norfolk... there was also no A14 in those days... so this was a mammoth journey through Lutterworth/Market Harborough/Kettering and god knows where else.

Eventually some maniac stole the Cortina from Coventry City Centre, and with the insurance we were able to afford another slightly less clapped-out Cortina, and we were then able to risk the motorway, and head down to Devon and Cornwall, which was positively equatorial in comparison to Hunstanton and Corton, never mind Rhyl...

Certainly gave me an appreciation of Great Britain though...

Although my mum's tales of the yearly family holiday to Dyffryn Ardudwy in the 50's and early 60's, when my grandad would need to stop for a fag "before we got out of Coventry" and then every half hour after, probably puts my journeys into perspective...
    Last edited by Travs; 16-05-2019 at 01:55 PM.

Mrs Gough.jpg

Here she is, bless her!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Mrs Gough.jpg

Here she is, bless her!
    Lovely picture Wheeze.

I recall her being a lot more jolly than she sometimes looked!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I was quite familiar with the 'dead towns' of mid-Wales in my younger years....
    You were never in Llani on fancy dress night - back in the 80/90s when I went it was like another world.
    I'm sure Llani boy will have fond memories, not that many of us remember anything about it!