Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When to eat/drink.

When to eat/drink.

On Sunday im doing the Preston Harriers Great Hill Handicap race. Its 7.4 miles and its not too hilly really, just over the moors and stuff.
    But, its at a distance that ive never raced before so im unsure whether I should carry and drink or gels to take or whether I should just carry mu small bum-bag with a waterproof jacket etc.

As well as that, when racing and even general training runs, I either forget to drink or don’t know when to drink. I generally carry a bottle with me as my bum-bag has a special compartment in it for a bottle.

So, what is the minimum distance you all usually take food and drink with you, and when do you usually have a drink/eat.

Thanks.

Re: When to eat/drink.

I wouldn't carry food or drink for that distance unless you are expecting a heatwave.

Banned

No hard and fast rules Al. (Man know thy self)
    Just run how you train and train how you would like to race.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    On Sunday im doing the Preston Harriers Great Hill Handicap race. Its 7.4 miles and its not too hilly really, just over the moors and stuff.
    But, its at a distance that ive never raced before so im unsure whether I should carry and drink or gels to take or whether I should just carry mu small bum-bag with a waterproof jacket etc.

As well as that, when racing and even general training runs, I either forget to drink or don’t know when to drink. I generally carry a bottle with me as my bum-bag has a special compartment in it for a bottle.

So, what is the minimum distance you all usually take food and drink with you, and when do you usually have a drink/eat.

Thanks.
    I personally would agree with swoop re food and drink. However each to his own, if you feel you may need to eat or drink I would not take anything you had not tried before, no use buying that fancy new gel if you are going to throw it up, better to try these out when training. Also when you train at this distance do you need food and drink, if not you should be ok,I mean racing is only training with less enjoyment and more pain!

if you decide to take fluid I would take a small amount for sipping, rather than a large bottle. Am i right in thinking that you are reasonably new to this, if so this is a learning curve and if you troll round with extra weight you don't need you will know for next time, much better than collapsing halfway through, it will take time for you to get know how your body works and how you cope.

Re kit its up to the organiser (assuming this is an FRA race - I have not checked the calender)and I would take everything you need then decide before the race based on what the organiser says on the day.

good luck

Eat well a couple of hours before the race. Also hydrate well before. I always carry a gel in my bum bag just in case, it's been in there for a year though! Porridge is good ( especially with lots of honey!)

Quote Originally Posted by skennaugh View Post
    Eat well a couple of hours before the race. Also hydrate well before. I always carry a gel in my bum bag just in case, it's been in there for a year though! Porridge is good ( especially with lots of honey!)
    I would not eat well less than 4 hours before as i tend to stitch, I tend to heart well the night beofre than have a small porridge etc 4 hours before (which means getting up bloody early sometimes) agree with the gel bit though.

however each to his own you will get your own system soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I personally would agree with swoop re food and drink. However each to his own, if you feel you may need to eat or drink I would not take anything you had not tried before, no use buying that fancy new gel if you are going to throw it up, better to try these out when training. Also when you train at this distance do you need food and drink, if not you should be ok,I mean racing is only training with less enjoyment and more pain!

if you decide to take fluid I would take a small amount for sipping, rather than a large bottle. Am i right in thinking that you are reasonably new to this, if so this is a learning curve and if you troll round with extra weight you don't need you will know for next time, much better than collapsing halfway through, it will take time for you to get know how your body works and how you cope.

Re kit its up to the organiser (assuming this is an FRA race - I have not checked the calender)and I would take everything you need then decide before the race based on what the organiser says on the day.

good luck
    Good point.
    Yes am relatively new to fell running but my fitness is at a decent standard so theres no threat that i wont finish, its just im planning on pushing quite hard to get a good time.
    For what i gather, there arent any kit specifications as its only a club race.

I think im just going to take my inov race pro 2 with a jacket, gloves and hat in it and maybe put a gel in incase i need a quick fill during the race.

I would not eat well less than 4 hours before as i tend to stitch, I tend to heart well the night beofre than have a small porridge etc 4 hours before (which means getting up bloody early sometimes) agree with the gel bit though.

however each to his own you will get your own system soon enough.

I usually eat two hours min before a run/race but still do get a stitch during the first mile or so but that goes after a while.

I usually get up and eat breakfast, and then go back to bed - a teenager needs their sleep.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 02-12-2008 at 07:06 PM.

The each to his own bit made me think of my old man telling me that he always liked to fell race on a full stomach. I tried it once, very messy! By eat well i meant a bowl of porridge, not a full on fry up!

so do you just lightly fry the porridge? Sort of a sauté , do you use lard or is olive oil better?

so do you just lightly fry the porridge? Sort of a sauté , do you use lard or is olive oil better?
    Blerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound