Thread: Suunto Lumi - any one got one?

Suunto Lumi - any one got one?

With the approach of Christmas Mr Jumbly has asked what I want and a watch has been mentioned. Am tempted by the Suunto Lumi, get a watch, an altimeter and a compass all in one, see I'm sneaking running/biking type kit in under the guise of something more romantic, a watch it's like jewellery isn't it!?

Anybody on here got a Lumi and got anything to say about them, good or bad? Did a quick search on here and see other Suunto products highly recommended, so am assuming the Lumi will also be good? Looking at this particular model as I have v. small wrists, hoping the women specific model will fit nicely.

Advice appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Suunto Lumi - any one got

I think they're still pretty chunky things. As far as I know the observer is the only non-dinner-plate sized altimeter/barometer/compass watch they make but they are fairly thick whereas the Core/Lumi do look a bit flatter

Thanks. I'll take a look at the Observer too.

My Vector has been handy. But it is big. Old now too, need a new gadget!

No experience of the Lumi (which are occasionally available through various e-bay shops at a slight discount I see - seach on the name rather than under the 'sport' or 'watch' sections as they vary as to where they post them).

However, I do have an old Vector (c1997, replaced for free by Suunto in 2002*, still going) and a very excellent t9 with speed/distance and HRM - very easy to use, reasonable software, and small enough for my puny wrists.

If the Lumi is similarly easy to use and looks a heap better then it should be a winner!

HTH

Ben B

* it had a "terminal event" in the Matukituki valley, NZ so I sent it back enquiring if it could be repaired at my cost given that it was out of warranty (and I had got married wearing it so it was of sentimental value) - they sent me back a brand new one with a very lovely note and spare straps, batteries etc. All for free and it was 3 years out of warrnaty already! 12/10 for customer service from the Finns...

I've had a Lumi for about a year now, and it's great.

I have puny wrists and it fits fine and doesn't look like a satellite dish on my wrist. You cut the wristband to size when you get it, so make sure you don't cut it too small or you're stuffed.

The altimeter function is its one slight let down. First of all, I can't make any sense of the altimeter log. It's meant to log your ups and downs when requested, but the results I've had have been completely non-sensical.

Also, with the male version of the new altimeter watch (is it also called a vector?) there are graphical functions showing you the profile of your route that you don't get with the Lumi.

Otherwise, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

Rhiannon