Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first year

novice

my first year

So I have completed my first year competing fell races having started at the Gravy Pud in 2007 and competing again this year 08.
    I am officially completely addicted to fell running and doing races when I can
    What I love is:
    The solitude of running by myself absorbed in my own thoughts

The beautiful surroundings

The self challenge and sense of achievement

The camaraderie of fell races

Being cheered on by people who have already finished a long way ahead of me

My favourite race of the year is a toss up between kentmere and lambs longer leg. I remember standing at the start of lambs longer leg thinking what an odd bunch of people to do this on a cold dank Jan morning. But what a route with a fantastic decent down Dimpus Clough.

Kentmere was an awesome experience. To stand at the start and actually see the whole HUGE route and think how the hell am I going to get round that but getting round and loving it all.

So I’m looking forward now to another year with runs on my tod and races.

Still being a novice I can’t give much advice but the one thing I have learnt is that it isn’t really a good idea to use a young lady with the tight shorts as a pacer in a race as it is guaranteed to a) make you run too fast too quick and b)raise the wife’s eyebrows when she sees photos (how come every race....)

Re: my first year

novice - Congrats on your First Year!
    I have been fell running for not much longer myself, and echo all your sentiments
    I was at Lamb's Longer Leg too! what a dismal day!

I'm still at the "kid in a sweet-shop" stage, of going around trying out loads of races in loads of areas, but also building up a core of fave races that I intend to re-visit most years (Kinder Downfall, Macc Forest, Shining Tor, Lantern Pike spring to mind)

most notable achievement was finishing dead last at Tal Y Fan, and q.pleased to survive Fairfield, Snowdon and Windgather without need of medical assistance

I did my first short-sharp-shocker (Shutlingsloe)
    my longest race so far (Kinder Trog - 15.5M)
    and my best race of the year (compared to winner's time), where I almost felt like I knew what I was doing, was at Cracken Edge

non-race-wise, I've got a bit of a taste for score events, completed an LDWA challenge event, found the top of Bleaklow and recce'd one and a half BG Legs

Roll On 2009...

Well, Novice, you've made my day. My first year was 1987 but I felt the same way as you. And what's even better is that, 21 years later, I still feel the same way!
    Remember, Fell Running is not just for Christmas but for life!

If you love the solitude, you must, must, must run on Jura....Wow!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Yes! Fully echo all your sentiments, from way back in '83. Then I could not believe that I'd managed to go under the hour for the old Downham race, including walking the plank and jumping the wall. With the great John Wild up at the sharp end, towing everyone round. Wheeze I still have ambitions for Jura and the Rhinogs; even if it is only 'toddling' around as an old man at the back of the field.
    Well done novice & DTS
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 08-12-2008 at 04:44 PM.

Hey, Donkey! As I slide inexorably from the sharp end of the field to a comfortable mid-fielder, I find the enjoyment is no less. And anyway, given long enough, we will all end up happily ambling around at the back!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I did my first race 6 months ago, and it is addictive.You echo my thoughts. Coming from road and cross country background, I've found it a fairly steep learning curve particularly for the longer race given the need for kit. I'd never thought of munching jelly babies for 4 hours and then rehydrating with a bottle of real ale at the end. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Hey, Donkey! As I slide inexorably from the sharp end of the field to a comfortable mid-fielder, I find the enjoyment is no less. And anyway, given long enough, we will all end up happily ambling around at the back!
    I have never progressed from the back end of the field, but the sport is fantastic.... why, I don't really know. There doesn't seem to be much laughing at those who aren't racing snakes, but take joy in taking part and running to their own objectives... so maybe I am running in my own delusional world, but just join in and enjoy the simple fun of running in beautiful countryside and the occasional shoulder to shoulder tussle that adds a bit of spice.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    I have never progressed from the back end of the field, but the sport is fantastic.... why, I don't really know.
    It's the sights you see, the friends you make, and the crack you have
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    I have never progressed from the back end of the field, but the sport is fantastic.... why, I don't really know. There doesn't seem to be much laughing at those who aren't racing snakes, but take joy in taking part and running to their own objectives... so maybe I am running in my own delusional world, but just join in and enjoy the simple fun of running in beautiful countryside and the occasional shoulder to shoulder tussle that adds a bit of spice.
    Good on you Rouge - You prob have no idea who i am, but at the Roaches when i passed you on the return leg (well actually i was using a gate post to stretch my cramp and you ran past the other-way) you looked like you where enjoying it! And the guy who was 5th or 6th for comparison looked in serious pain.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Yes! Fully echo all your sentiments, from way back in '83. Then I could not believe that I'd managed to go under the hour for the old Downham race, including walking the plank and jumping the wall. With the great John Wild up at the sharp end, towing everyone round. Wheeze I still have ambitions for Jura and the Rhinogs; even if it is only 'toddling' around as an old man at the back of the field.
    Well done novice & DTS
    WD - what an amazing coincidence - I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm unlikely to become able to cope properly with long races, although I still fancy having a go at one per year - I have 3 Shires pencilled in for 2009, but the two that I really fancy are Jura and Rhinog Horseshoe!!