Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Singlespeed Mountain Biking

Re: Singlespeed Mountain Bikin

I'd say use the pedals you normally use, I kinda prefer clipless but have used both. The potential downside of flats is you can sort of leave the pedal behind on the upstroke in those udgy moments when you're grinding away at 1/2 an RPM.

Also, get your chain as short as possible (esp with a ramped chainring) and try and get a good chainline. You might even think about a half-link in the chain if you don't fall lucky with the chain length. Charlie bike monger has them.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Must be very frustrating for your missus...
    Nice one!
    Hills and Guinness!

I went through a phase of using flats for a year or so when I was attempting to ride 'aggressively' on technical stuff. I have now gone back to clipless for everything. I think it's handy at times to get all the 'drive' you can on a SS, especially when 'thrutching' (technical term) up big hills.

The one thing I will say about riding SS is it makes you (well, me at least) very prone to pushing big gears when (if??) you do go back to geared bikes.

Merrylegs - was getting a bit worried there in case I'd put my cyber foot in it!

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    I went through a phase of using flats for a year or so when I was attempting to ride 'aggressively' on technical stuff. I have now gone back to clipless for everything. I think it's handy at times to get all the 'drive' you can on a SS, especially when 'thrutching' (technical term) up big hills.

The one thing I will say about riding SS is it makes you (well, me at least) very prone to pushing big gears when (if??) you do go back to geared bikes.

Merrylegs - was getting a bit worried there in case I'd put my cyber foot in it!
    I agree, push bigger gears now than i used to.
    And don't worry mate, its me that puts my foot in it with the Mrs.
    All best Simon
    Hills and Guinness!

Lola

Thumbs up Re: Singlespeed Mountain Bikin

Weird
    The only word for it. My conversion kit arrived yesterday morning (less than 36 hrs after I ordered it complete with a free plastic 'pooping reindeer' full of jelly beans AND a packet of decaf Yorshire Tea) so fitted it last night after festive (not) dinner with Mother. All fitted really well and alignment was excellent but old ramped 32 cahinring concerns me.
    Just come back from first ride and I'm shagged. I can't spin fast enough downhill and the climbs are going to give me quads like a speed skater. Pleased that all the bike mechanicals worked perfectly tho so highly recommend £15 from On-One.
    Thanks for all the advice, no idea where this will take me but it is fun.

Perserverance is the key with Singlespeeding. What doesn't kill you will, quite literally, make you stronger!
    RE Chainrings I can recommend these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=22619

As to where it takes you, it might be here: http://ssuk09.com/ or the SS world cup!
    Last edited by fishbulb; 14-12-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Lola

Fishbulb,

You don't freelance for the Jehovah's Witness by chance do you?
    I'm feeling that conversion to the faith of Single Speed will save my Ti Grip Shift soul from eternal damnation and ligament ruination!

Joking aside, much gratitude for the help; once they are really trashed I will replace both chainring and chain for something more specific.

Well, I've had a few doors slammed in my face over the years...

I must be veering from enthusiastic to evangelical which is only one step away from boring so I'll shut up now.

Hallelujah!

Me t'other day coming off Garburn Pass. Singlespeed isn't exactly ideal for going up there - it's a bit eroded to say the least! Was a nice ride though, despite being 'under biked' compared to some of the others...

Account of the ride here: http://www.industrialfellbiking.co.u...burn/#more-332

Still loving the singlespeed and doubting if I'll even bother getting my geared bike out of its box again come the summer. Never fails to amaze me what I can get up on it with a bit of grunting, swearing and occasional vomiting on handlebars.... quick question.. off to spend a couple of days at Coed-Y-Brenin at the end of the month and am sorely tempted to take the singlespeed... have any of you ridden yours at CYB or similar trail centre and how did you get on?