Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supply of clean air to breathe

Supply of clean air to breathe

I suppose I'm trying to open a can of worms but having diificulty.
    It has been established by the world's leading scientific authorities that the planet is in very deep trouble. Those in this forum who choose to turn a blind eye to their warnings will not find the game they seek by baiting me on the subject this time.
    To those who sense the danger is real I ask how much, how far should enviromental issues be taken? What is too far?
    Is there a "too far" at this dangerous stage? Repeatedly scientists have stated we are at a turning point.
    I'm not militant on ANY subject though my views are strong. I've for example always found the destruction of trees to celebrate Christmas to be repugnant and hypocritical. Is such an opinion over the top at this this time? Needless to say to cease consumption of oil would mean no more transportation, no more plastics (both having a profound effect on delivery of food), and heres the clincher, no more armies. This would have a devastating effect on global economies. Should we be setting an example through how we organise our racing. The number of cars involved and mileage travelled to the recent Pennine Bridleway event for example. How do we stop, how do we slow the impending holocaust within reason? Thoughts? Cheers.

Re: Supply of clean air to bre

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    It has been established by the world's leading scientific authorities that the planet is in very deep trouble.
    The planet is not in very deep trouble. Nature can take care of itself.

Environmentalists and politicians are in very deep trouble because there are changes in the climate or to the environment that will affect their ideas about a proper world form them to dominate.

Scientists want to scare politicians into increasing their funding for their pet research projects and politicians want to jump on the bandwagon by increasing taxes.

The majority of people just want a clean and pleasant place to live and to enjoy life to the full.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Master

I agree with Deek the Planet is in deep trouble, at the same time i agree with XRunner nature (of which we are part) can take care of itself and unless the human race accepts that our lifestyles are screwing nature up, then nature will look after itself by destroying us.

Yes the majority of folk do want a clean and pleasant place to live and to live life to the full , but that is worldwide not just on our patch and it is all to easy to ignore/forget the effects of the changing climate because for the average punter it has no immediate effect on them.

But all you have to do is take a look around you and see what species of animals, insects, plants, etc are now extinct or soon will be simply because of the damage we are doing to nature which is no longer able to sustain that particular species, carry on as we are and nature will no longer be able to sustain us.

Simple things would help for example why do we need to use energy lighting up Motorways?
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Deek View Post
    Needless to say to cease consumption of oil would mean no more transportation, no more plastics (both having a profound effect on delivery of food), and heres the clincher, no more armies.
    Deek, I feel I'm being manipulated by your blatantly incorrect statements - you just want to start a discussion. But it's these kind of factually incorrect statements that are going to ruin your credibility as an environmental campaigner. I'm sure you don't want to be seen as a raving loony scaremonger, but that's how your post reads.

For somebody who is so informed about the hazards the planet faces I'm surprised you're not more informed about how technology is adapting to the idea of the oil running out. E.g. internal combustion engines running on bio-diesel, fuel cells running from hydrogen manufactured from sea water / plants. Plastics can be made from pretty much any substance containing carbon, hydrogen and oxygen - good old plants again - it's just that oil is convenient and presently cheap.

Like John K I happen to agree with your basic views, and try to take measures to reduce my personal environmental impact, but I don't want to be aligned with any of these scaremonger activist types who conveniently forget / manipulate the facts in pursuit of their cause.

Cheers,
    Steve

I am increasingly worried about this.

Not just about the quality of the air we breathe, but also the wider issues.

These would seem to be long term issues which many wish to defer to a future generation.

But the filthy bumper-to-bumper mess which is what is happening on our roads here-and-now cannot be ignored for much longer.

Something has to give - and we must start somewhere.

Governmental pay-as-you-drive plans might seem like stealth tax ... but it is at least a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Governmental pay-as-you-drive plans might seem like stealth tax ... but it is at least a start.
    It's only a start if people actually do / can reduce the miles that they drive.

to be honest, I don't care.

and i don't mean that in a arrogant sort of way, just that I do my bit, I don't drive, live in a small flat, don't create much rubbish, use little energy etc. etc.

If other people don't do their bit, I can't do anything about it.
    Coversely, if everyone took care of themsleves, then there wouldn't be a problem.
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell View Post
    to be honest, I don't care ... I do my bit, I don't drive
    You super hero!!

So you only do fell races within walking/cycling/public transport distance??

Master

Try this one why do so many people still buy Magazines and newspapers etc when all the info they contain is available on the internet without the need of one of the most environmentally damaging processes i.e. printing.
    The older I get the Faster I was

My mate Oli knows a thing or two about the enviroment.

Anyway if you want to find out just how much carbon you let off have a word with these guys!

http://www.oliandjonosavetheworld.co.uk/

I really can't believe that anyone who considers themselves a fellrunner would not consider themselves and environmentalist as well. It's not that you have to go around preeching green stuff and being annoying - you just have to quietly do your bit. Maybe it's energy saving lightbulbs - maybe switch to a green energy supplier (they don't cost anything extra than un-green these days)...(at least I don't think they do, I'm waiting for the first bill) Why not use the car a bit less this week? If we all just did a little a lot of good would be done. Oh and about races - liftshare - meet at your club house and go in as few vehicles as poss.

Remember - Walshes and Newbalances are made in England (although materials are probably sourced from elsewhere) making them a bit more enviromentally friendly. Walshes are vegan friendly too!

Are there any vegan fell runners?