Thread: Great West Fell Race

Great West Fell Race

Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread on the Great West Fell Race in Devon. I've done a search and can't find owt.

If not whats it like? I'll be down there when it's on this year (01/08/15) and I'm thinking of turning up if I can get the relevant permissions..............

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a thread on the Great West Fell Race in Devon. I've done a search and can't find owt.

If not whats it like? I'll be down there when it's on this year (01/08/15) and I'm thinking of turning up if I can get the relevant permissions..............
    I did it last year. It's a cracking little race: a steep climb up to Yes Tor and High Willhays (the highest points on Dartmoor) then a steep down to the reservoir.

Very friendly too. There were only about 40 runners last year which is a shame as it's a great route!

Great stuff. What's it like underfoot? I'm expecting peaty ground, with tussock grass and a bit of heather with the odd granite boulder lobbed in for good measure - Mudclaw type shoe country?

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    Great stuff. What's it like underfoot? I'm expecting peaty ground, with tussock grass and a bit of heather with the odd granite boulder lobbed in for good measure - Mudclaw type shoe country?
    Yes it's heathery, rocky and tussocky, with a section of hard rocky path as well. The top could be boggy depending on the weather...I wore x talons and they did nicely

Cheers, I seem to have secured the pass out too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the last day of our holiday and hopefully will be stopping off to run on the journey home; I will pack fell shoes accordindly.