Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: The definitive headtorch post

Re: Which head torch

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Alpkit = £15 for 51 lumens = 1:3
    MagicShine £52 = for say 5-600 lumens = 1:10
    could be worth an upgrade then

LED Lenser Head torches

Anyone used one of these? If so, any good?

I'm thinking of the H7R 160 Lumens rechargeable....

Re: LED Lenser Head torches

Sorry - don't have one myself but having been doing quite a bit of headtorch research recently it looks like a very useful and adaptable headtorch what with its zoom and its adjustable brightness. The only reservation I'd have is that it isn't regulated, so it may be 160 lumens, but not for long as the batteries lose voltage, at which point it will dim quite a lot, especially as they're NiMH rechargeables.

Might be worth considering the new fenix headtorches (hp10, hp15, hl20) as they are regulated, use the very latest led technology, and therefore give a lot of light for the battery power. They are however, much more 'throwy' than 'floody'. I've come to the conclusion that when I run I need flood and throw at the same time, so I'm working on a two lamp setup - sounds complicated, but shouldn't be. it will eventually consist of a Zebralight H501 (mounted at the waist - probably on the buckle of my bum bag) for flood, so I can see the terrain at my feet and (once it actually arrives on the market early next year) a Fenix hp15 on my head, to see what's coming a little furrther up ahead. Will make a proper post on the which headtorch thread when I actually get this going properly.

Re: Which head torch

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Alpkit = £15 for 51 lumens = 1:3
    MagicShine £52 = for say 5-600 lumens = 1:10
    What the F&*% are all them Men's loo's about
    Going to try again....

Head / chest torches

I like the idea of Petzl's Adapt Kit which enables a small headtorch to be worn on a rucsac chest strap. However, I have got really bogged down researching the various Petzl Tikkas - they all seem to have drawbacks eg light leakage, not waterproof, poor performance when used with re-chargeables. Can anyone comment? I want something light in weight, bright, easy to use and wearable on my chest rather than my head.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: Head / chest torches

Why not your head rather than your chest? At least then the light always shines in the direction you're looking - pretty important when you're running downhill in the dark!

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Why not your head rather than your chest? At least then the light always shines in the direction you're looking - pretty important when you're running downhill in the dark!
    My head is a long way from my feet, and I mainly want to see what is just in front of them.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

I have an energizer head torch from Argos which tilts to the direction you want it, it's brilliant for off-roading in the dark. I used it all last winter and it was a godsend.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...HEAD+TORCH.htm

:thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Because if you are in low cloud / mist the light just glares back into your eyes and you can't see a thing - like being in fog in a car in the dark with headlights on full beam, so you need to lower the light to below eye level by using a chest strap or carrying the torch by hand to reduce glare and improve visibility.