Thread: Reddish Vale Hit The Trail

Reddish Vale Hit The Trail

Jan.11th
    organised by Belle Vue Racers
    lovely 5ish-mile undulating trail race
    http://www.bellevueracers.co.uk/Hit_..._Form_2009.pdf
    I'm in - anybody else?

Re: Reddish Vale Hit The Trail

Whats this one like underfoot? Can you get away with road shoes or do you need trail shoes?

I need to be doing the longer stuff really - was just looking at The Cannock Chase which is the same day as this....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    Whats this one like underfoot? Can you get away with road shoes or do you need trail shoes?
    I ran round the course last Saturday, and road shoes would've been fine - mainly well-made trail and decent path.
    there are a couple of short cross-country-type sections that could become muddy if we get significant rain before 11th though...

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I need to be doing the longer stuff really - was just looking at The Cannock Chase which is the same day as this....
    I've resigned myself to being rubbish at the longer stuff, so am going to concentrate on shorter/less extreme stuff for 2009

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    I did that race last year Em, its a bit boring to be honest as its mainly paths, roads and tracks but it is a fast course as all the hills are runnable and you can do it in trail shoes. There's some muddy bits round the checkpoints but not worth wearing fell shoes just for those. You cross a railway line going out and coming back just to make it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I did that race last year Em, its a bit boring to be honest as its mainly paths, roads and tracks but it is a fast course as all the hills are runnable and you can do it in trail shoes. There's some muddy bits round the checkpoints but not worth wearing fell shoes just for those. You cross a railway line going out and coming back just to make it interesting
    Thanks for that Alf......still undecided....I may go and recce the Trog instead as this is a bit of a schlep out really but I need the Nav practice and as I say some longer runs...

Senior Member Mike - TheBoyBarry's Avatar

Good to see you out running today Daz ! I passed you on my way back from Styal after my interval sets. You were heading thataway.....

Anyway, yes I'm probably running it although I have to say it doesn't fill me with excitement....

MTBB - it was pretty nippy out there wasn't it!
    I just did 6x1k up/down Styal Road - pretty boring, but I need to keep working at my speed, as I'm slow enough as it is!

also brings my mileage total for 2008 up to 1005

I'm not saying the Reddish Vale race is the greatest in the world, or any substitute for a fell race, but I'm getting excited about it cos it fits nicely with the type/distance of race that I'm currently best at...

Senior Member Mike - TheBoyBarry's Avatar

Nippy alright ! It was that cold the plane spotters on the orbital were taking pictures of the 'weirdo' in shorts running.

Whats the route like ? Does it go out towards the motorway ? I run occasionally during my lunch break from work there and I can't see how it would add up to 5 miles without dropping down into the valley under the motorway after a mile or so.

I'll definately give it a go though.

Mike

I ran it 2 years ago, and it was something like this:

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/86b...5b9175c002e943