Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duddon Valley Fell Race

Duddon Valley Fell Race

Gail Batten, one of the organisers of the race, mentions that camping won't be allowed in the start field on the Friday night. Camping available at Turner Hall Farm, just up the road.

It will be ok to camp in the start field after the race on Saturday night.

Re: Duddon Valley Fell Race

Can anyone tell me what Turner Hall Farm is like for camping?

It looks a bit basic - I am intending bringing my 2 kids with me who are new to camping - don't want to put them off for life

Any alternatives?

Also, anyone fancy looking after a six year old and a nine year old for 4 or 5 hours while I do the race?

Cheers

MH

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Hare View Post

It looks a bit basic - I am intending bringing my 2 kids with me who are new to camping - don't want to put them off for life

Any alternatives?

Also, anyone fancy looking after a six year old and a nine year old for 4 or 5 hours while I do the race?

Cheers

MH
    I've not stayed there, myself, but I know several other Pennine people have & they say it's fine for kids. RichT are you there?

My seven year old will be with me for the weekend - thought she could jog around with me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I've not stayed there, myself, but I know several other Pennine people have & they say it's fine for kids. RichT are you there?

My seven year old will be with me for the weekend - thought she could jog around with me.
    GeoffB

Can we try an organise some sort of unofficial 'creche'? - anyone fancy running it?

Are you camping at Turner Hall yourself?

MH

Have I mentioned what a wonderful reception awaits those who choose to stay at the charming location of Elterwater Youth Hostel, nestled in the Langdale valley and just a short drive from the Duddon start....
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Have I mentioned what a wonderful reception awaits those who choose to stay at the charming location of Elterwater Youth Hostel, nestled in the Langdale valley and just a short drive from the Duddon start....

You have mail!

MH

Any alternatives?

MH
    Turner Hall campsite is fine if basic, often plenty of kids on there playing round on the rocks. Doesn't get frequented by the "yob" type of camper. One of my favourite Lakeland campsites.

If you want to introduce them to camping then another friendly site is Fisherground just up the road from the King George pub in Eskdale. There are hot showers, fixed fire grates for open fires and a lake and zip wire for the kids to play on. This is about 20mins away from the start point of the race.

Bob

Turner Hall Farm is very basic, no hot water but toilets are clean and owners very friendly.
    I would not want to stay there for a week but a weekend is ok, I take my kids there (7 and 9) they love it, lots of rocks for scrambling about but take wellies if its been raining.

Not sure about Fisherground, friends who have stayed had bad experience with "families" going just to get drunk and rowdy.

Bill

GeoffB

Can we try an organise some sort of unofficial 'creche'? - anyone fancy running it?

Are you camping at Turner Hall yourself?

MH
    Pennine have booked the Rucksack Club's High Moss Hut (just along the track from Turner Hall Farm) so we'll be staying there. That'll be lots of families, kids etc. Should be a cracking weekend.

Ear!!!

I was going to camp at Turner Hall. But I don't want my Sunday hangover sleep-in ruined by millions of screaming kids.

Have a care, will ya!