Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Captain Cooks New years day

Glad you enjoyed it Vespa Seemed to be a lot of strength in depth to the feild this year Jopari, if you got in top10 your doing well my 9th cooks race and looking forward to 10th already...

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

excellent race

It was a cracking race again, mammoth turnout with a record 263 finishers and the rain just about held off, met office predications were right.

To pick-up on an earlier post, it was definitely a fell shoe day, the muddy sections made the fell shoes worthwhile (with good grip).

Made the top 10 just so really pleased and like the Rev looking forward to next year (fitter and faster - lets hope so )
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Great run Tuffer. You must be well chuffed with that. Clearly, all that horrible track stuff is paying off. As ever, a great festive event with a lovely atmosphere. Was very pleased to get round without too many niggles. Hopefully 2014 will be less injury prone.

Quote Originally Posted by smoggy View Post
    Great run Tuffer. You must be well chuffed with that. Clearly, all that horrible track stuff is paying off. As ever, a great festive event with a lovely atmosphere. Was very pleased to get round without too many niggles. Hopefully 2014 will be less injury prone.
    Hopefully you can keep it going thru' 2014, steady away and mix it up with the biking.

Think just the bits of hill work i did just about each week for the last couple of months helped me up to the monument and on aireyholme in good-ish shape.

Speak soon, cheers.
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Apart from exploration, navigation and cartography.....what did Captain Cook ever do for us?

He also made it possible for us to run in a fell race in his honour....ironically compass and map aren't needed today, the view is clear and the attendance is high.

Mr Cook certainly left his mark in history and the small North Yorkshire village of Great Ayton is understandably proud of their former resident. Walking around the village reveals an obelisk, statue and museum all honouring Great Aytons most notable son.

But it's the local landmark of Captain Cook's Monument on Easby Moor which overlooks the village that is our destination for this multi terrain New Year's Day blast. Its raining and there's no frost, locals have advised on fell shoes as the descents will be interesting.

The race starts adjacent to the village green and traffic is halted as a few hundred runners await the off. Lovely touch by the organisers to have the granddaughter of the late great Dave Parry setting us off on our merry way.

The first mile had me out of my comfort zone trying to keep up with the pace whilst pounding the tarmac. I try and remain positive by thinking I'll appreciate the rougher terrain more when it arrives. Once we hit the woods it's cheesy grin time, I'm happy and start picking up places. Once out of the woods the Monument comes into sight and I'm taken aback by its size....it's a whopper.

From here on it's mainly downhill with some great muddy descending, especially liked the Gribdale terrace section.

Many thanks to all involved and best wishes for the new year.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Great report Tindersticks, captured the essence of the event and good to see you back in North Yorkshire.

It was a mammoth turnout for this years event nigh on 400 across the junior and senior races, the race can't help but put a smile on people's faces. It was great competition at the front end of the field and their will have been many a personal battle with the course and between local rivals through the field.

Proceeds from the event some £1700+ are being donated to local charities.

Clive Thornton
    Esk Valley Fell Club
    Tuffer

Is enjoying the running

Online entry is available for the first race in the FRA 50@50 (and the first race of the year):

https://www.sportsentrysolutions.com...ecordID=201307

If you know you are definitely going to be doing it pre-entering will make it easier on the day for Bob and his team.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Results for the seniors are now out:

http://www.eskvalleyfellclub.org/res...1-Jan-2020.pdf

There were 449 finishers this year. Does anyone know of a fell race with a bigger field? Only one I could think of was High Cup Nick which had 433 finishers last year.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club