Thread: 2009 LAMM assistance please

Talking 2009 LAMM assistance please

I'm doing the LAMM this June with a friend from work. I have all the necessary running gear I'm sure but I don't have a tent, proper rucksack, light weight sleeping bag or descent stove.

Any recommendations for all or some of these things together with any random LAMM tips gratefully received.

Re: 2009 LAMM assistance pleas

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm doing the LAMM this June with a friend from work. I have all the necessary running gear I'm sure but I don't have a tent, proper rucksack, light weight sleeping bag or descent stove.

Any recommendations for all or some of these things together with any random LAMM tips gratefully received.
    PM PACMAN, he's done it a good few times so he's the man in the know.

I guess lots depends on whether you hope to do more than one mountain marathon and therefore want to make an investment.
    If you want to do Saunders, OMM and LAMM then it would be worth shelling out for decent gear.
    If it is a one off tentative try then perhaps try to borrow, even if it is peoples old second best gear that you get.

It also does depend how competetive you want to be / can be and so how light to go etc.
    There is lots of info on the OMM forum- (and possibly the LAMM one too)
    Check out web sites for gear- Pete Bland, Alpkit, PH designs,up and running etc Probably lots of sales on in hard economic times
    I use Terra Nova Laser ( not the slightly smaller comp one)
    Pocket rocket or similar and titanium mug/kettle
    sleep on bubble wrap plus silver blanket
    Get cold so have Rab Quantum bag for OMM but use smaller and lighter PHD bag for Saunders
    Kimm sac as none of others fit me very well.
    Hope that will do for starters

Tent- http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acata...NT__2008_.html

Cheap but meant to be really good.

Karen is right with if you are looking to do more than one then invest. Bit hard to say until you have done one I know.

Firstly let me confess (in an AA meeting style) "My name is Anthony and I am a weight weenie"

I got a vango Ultralite sleeping bag for £30 from fleabay and is sub kilo and okay if wearing clothes. Decided too heavy. Now use a down bag at 420g which is far warmer but you are looking at over £100 for a decent lightweight down bag. Rab, PHD and Mountain Equipment seem to get good reviews if you are looking at that.

Bag, really the choice is OMM or Inov8 although if you are going cheap then look at Decathlon Quencha as I have seen a few of those. I would recommend the OMM bag as it is bombproof and I use it as a day to day bag for runnning and biking to work and it has held up to a lot of abuse. I do use an inov8 elite bag to run MM with though as it is lighter (by about 200g) and smaller but not as tough.

Stove, pocket rocket, or if you are really brave fuel blocks (practise first)

Tent, if looking at cheap then Coleman ridgel suffice but if it rains then cooking is an issue. Ali had a supair for sale (Sales and Wants) at a good price. That is about 900g and worth looking at.

My kit list for the OMM and why I chose it (sorry it goes on a bit) Also there is a link to the planet fear kit list on the post which is a great starting point for what you can get and the price vs weight vs performance.

Remember 100g here 50g there soon adds up. Not much difference on day 1 but when you put your bag on day 2 then you really feel it.

Learn to navigate to a good level. Route choice is EVERYTHING!

Thanks guys - top stuff. I think I'll be looking to invest rather than borrow and AJF the navigation bit is something I intend to work on, never having taken it that seriously up until now solo running or fell racing

Master

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    There is lots of info on the OMM forum- (and possibly the LAMM one too)
    There's no LAMM forum, but plenty of advice (some of it useful!) on the OMM one http://www.theomm.com/forum/index.php?board=7.0

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I don't have a ... descent stove.
    Spelling is going downhill...

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Spelling is going downhill...
    I also have a southern ascent