Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ramsay Recce??

Re: Ramsay Recce??

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Here's some photos
    You're making me jealous Nice shots, looks like you had a good day out there.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Sounds fun Bill, Excellent stuff.

This coming week end was one of Shane's dates for an attempt on the Winter RR record.

Re Tranter, We've been planning an attempt but (and I don't know) I though the Tranter went A/C or is that up to the amputee.
    Goodness IDP. Is someone getting legless before they start?

Good effort Baggins - great day out. Most jealous!
    There can be only one

Superb stuff Baggins....

Great Pics too....extremely well done!

Good Luck with the rematch ..... keep us posted...
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Ye gods the main is mad . Seriously impressed, Bill . Great pics - love your expression on the last one .

Superb shots, how did you find the Nav from the summit of the Ben to the main Grey corries ridge? Was it not tricky locating the descents (and also ascents) in snow.

Anyway great effort. Inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Superb shots, how did you find the Nav from the summit of the Ben to the main Grey corries ridge? Was it not tricky locating the descents (and also ascents) in snow.

Anyway great effort. Inspirational.
    I've recced that section three times last year and thought only a few tricky sections as mostly you're on a very defined ridge.

1. Getting off the Ben went down slightly right then come across to hit the ridge overlooking Coire Leis and follow this down to CMD arete.

2. Coming off Carn Mor Dearg the East ridge is very defined only at the bottom does it broaden, keep to the left, there is a craggy area to stop you going too far, then down to the col.

3. Getting on to Anoach Mor easy to find the start as its a stream bed gets a bit harder to keep to the line but as you gain height the ridge becomes narrower.

4. Once on the Anoachs keep on the flatter ground and head North or South depending on what summit your heading for, don't go too far East as the cornices can be quite large

5. Getting off Anoach Beag you've got the big cliffs to the East that are a handrail all the way down to the gully/col.

I found the navigation much easier that some of my night runs in the Lakes because the ridges are so sharp in places you can't really go wrong.

I did have a GPS for back up that I would input the next top into but after checking I was going in the roughly the right direction I'd put it away until at the next summit.
    Bill

Talking Re: Ramsay Recce??

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Ye gods the main is mad . Seriously impressed, Bill Great pics - love your expression on the last one
    It was an "I can't believe what I've just traversed and I ain't going back across it" expression
    Bill

nice pics bill. conditions looked decent.

I recommend A/C on tranter in winter. that way you have one of the best bumslides in britain at the end down the red burn. 2000 feet in 10 mins or so if decent snow.. also big ascents at the end when you'll be walking steadily anyway (if in full winter condition).

walshes are good except if snow is at all wet, you'll get very cold feet. I'd go with the highlanders and take crampons.

can't see much happening this weekend. jan is often stormy anyway. early march is often the best but obviously significantly less dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Here's some photos
    Great piccies Bill, lots of snow about.

Mrs BGSec and I were in Glencoe over New Year. The headwall of the Lost Valley was bone hard neve, had to be crampons, would have been death (or at least time to practice the ice axe brake) in fell shoes.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.