Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suunto Watches

Suunto Watches

Anyone any experience with these? been thinking abt getting one but dont want to fork out £200+ and it just be a bit of a gimmick or not work like its advertised, cheers. dave

Re: Suunto Watches

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Anyone any experience with these? been thinking abt getting one but dont want to fork out £200+ and it just be a bit of a gimmick or not work like its advertised, cheers. dave
    I use a Suunto Metron and it is by a long way the best outdoors watch I have used. I have used mine in the Alps, the Peaks, Pyrenees etc and it has always been accurate.
    If you are outdoors a lot climbing, fell running etc it is worth forking out that kind of money because in the long run they pay for themselves. I have had cheaper watches but I haven't come across any which are as robust or as consistently accurate.

I have had a Suunto Vector for I don't know how many years. MOre than 10 I think... Bought it for mountaineering and am now using it for navigating during fell runs and races and MM's. Brilliant piece of equipment!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I have the Suunto T6 which was part of a Duathlon Pack. The footpod was pretty accurate on the road once set up but useless offroad and the bike pod is quite good. Still use it for duathlon/triathlon but not for running as I prefer the Garmin now.

hi cheers for feedback, mainly want it for mm/longer runs in hills

i also have the vector, the compass function has proved really usefull several times....

the altitude thing is largely useless to me as it requires daily calibration to sea level pressure to be accurate

I rely on the compass for navigation, does anyone know if I should officially be carrying a 'proper compass' for FRA events ? thanks

You dont need sea level pressure to set alitude, it is one way yes but you can also just look at map find the height your currently at and ajust it from that! Got a vector recently great piece of kit!

Quote Originally Posted by trilathon View Post
    i also have the vector, the compass function has proved really usefull several times....

the altitude thing is largely useless to me as it requires daily calibration to sea level pressure to be accurate

I rely on the compass for navigation, does anyone know if I should officially be carrying a 'proper compass' for FRA events ? thanks
    I have had a vector for five or six years. I particularly like the ability to change batteries yourself (I used to dive and changing the batteries in the dive watch cost about £60 a time every couple of years). I find the altimeter very useful for navigation, the compass less so but OK as a backup. I wouldn't recommend it for use as a sole compass because a) you couldn't take bearings from map to ground or vice versa and b) I dont think its as accurate or as easy to follow a bearing with as a silva compass.

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I use the Core (which comes in around 180 £) currently. Am well pleased with it 's all round functionality - slightly bigger than Vector I think, once you're used to callibrating etc as you go it's fine.
    Lots of functions and data to scroll through. The storm alarm is spot on too -
    The back lite is good but because it is so battery life can be shortened !
    In terms of build quality Sunnto are heads above. If you're MM a lot or similar then great..but remember, as it all works on barometric pressure there are some accuracy issues but minimal!
    Run and become...

I have the T6C. It's the only training watch range with altitude. So you get really comprehensive training information and download ability plus being able to navigate using altitude. If you add the GPS POD you get pretty accurate speed and distance info. One thing I really like is the ability to customise the displays to show any of the available info in each line of the display.

It's one of the more expensive watches but loads of great features.