Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Max heart rate

Max heart rate

I have seen a basic method of calculating my max rate, which is 220. minus my age (37) so N=183 beat per min, is there another better method anyone knows
    Cheers
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Re: Max heart rate

Quote Originally Posted by Darth domain View Post
    I have seen a basic method of calculating my max rate, which is 220. minus my age (37) so N=183 beat per min, is there another better method anyone knows
    Cheers
    Run up a steep hill really fast.

And repeat.

I'm afraid this is a very inaccurate method that will always tend to give a very low result especially for active people. The reason for this is that the study used to come up with this formula only used sedentary individuals as subjects. This Wiki link goes into most of the other formulae but I'd take them all with a pinch of salt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

Far better, if you're fit and healthy is to find your actual maximum.

After warming up well, find a longish hill that is pretty steep. Set your HR monitor to record max. Run up it sustaining a pace that is a hard as you can manage for 6 minutes. At six minutes, crank up the pace and max out for 30 seconds. Once your vision has returned to normal, see what your HR got to and that'll be your max.

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    I'm afraid this is a very inaccurate method that will always tend to give a very low result especially for active people. The reason for this is that the study used to come up with this formula only used sedentary individuals as subjects. This Wiki link goes into most of the other formulae but I'd take them all with a pinch of salt

Calulated the above shows it as approx 180, bit lower, suppose i woul dneed to go for proper tread mill testing for an accurate, other than the running up hill method

Calulated the above shows it as approx 180, bit lower, suppose i woul dneed to go for proper tread mill testing for an accurate, other than the running up hill method
    Testing would be your best bet as, with gas analysis, you'll find out the more important figure of your anaerobic threshold.... however, the hill test method is surprisingly accurate as long as you can inflict the pain on yourself

Testing would be your best bet as, with gas analysis, you'll find out the more important figure of your anaerobic threshold.... however, the hill test method is surprisingly accurate as long as you can inflict the pain on yourself
    fell running is inflicting pain on one's self

this site is good, allows you to put your age in and then calculates for you based on various methods:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm

Far better, if you're fit and healthy is to find your actual maximum.

After warming up well, find a longish hill that is pretty steep. Set your HR monitor to record max. Run up it sustaining a pace that is a hard as you can manage for 6 minutes. At six minutes, crank up the pace and max out for 30 seconds. Once your vision has returned to normal, see what your HR got to and that'll be your max.
    I am not convinced such self-administered tests determine the maximum MHR. I can run myself to a virtual stand-still up hill or do timed step tests yet these MHR are lower than I record when running flat out after 200 yards in a short race which has the added bonus of "the adrenalin affect" of being overtaken by 12 years olds gambolling past me (I catch up with 'em after 20 miles).

fell running is inflicting pain on one's self

this site is good, allows you to put your age in and then calculates for you based on various methods:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm
    It asks for your experience - average or elite - but gives you the same results anyway! [Does for 41 year olds anyway - didn't check other ages.]

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

When you keel over, you've gone too far.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

*keels ov