Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Max heart rate

Re: Max heart rate

Definiteley innacurate, I set my Garmin up on % for a race and I get up to 106-108% when using my age (191 max) this equates to 202-206 max which is a fair bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    When you keel over, you've gone too far.
    the word "Pendle" comes to mind
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

i dont think any of the methods are accurate as others have said, but after doing the calculations ihave come across so far, its giving me between 179-186 BPM for my age of 37.
    I suppose its ok for a estimate, as mentioned the only sure fire way, is going for proper testing, how or where you do that is beyond me, any ideas

Master

I don't understand this interest in maximum heart rates. It just makes me think that people don't understand that it's irrelevant, unless you're measuring cardiac output.

Many years ago an individual had his heart rate measured during the lifting of a 220kg weight. His heart rate was 72 during the lift, but the irony was, that it was the same as when he was stood up doing no exercise I.e. at rest.

All goes to show that it's not just how many times your heart beats every minute, it's also how HARD it beats. Without this knowledge max heart rates are meaningless.

If you still want to know(max HR) after all of the above, then run flat out downhill until you start to slow, then take it.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I don't understand this interest in maximum heart rates. It just makes me think that people don't understand that it's irrelevant, unless you're measuring cardiac output.

Many years ago an individual had his heart rate measured during the lifting of a 220kg weight. His heart rate was 72 during the lift, but the irony was, that it was the same as when he was stood up doing no exercise I.e. at rest.

All goes to show that it's not just how many times your heart beats every minute, it's also how HARD it beats. Without this knowledge max heart rates are meaningless.

If you still want to know(max HR) after all of the above, then run flat out downhill until you start to slow, then take it.
    Not necessarily Chris, as a one rep max weight lifter will be using anaerobic systems to achieve this lift and generate the energy required. This means that no oxygen is required to achieve the work and therefore there is no demand on the heart to deliver oxygen at the time of the lift.

Heart rates in conjunction with latate thresholds is a powerful training tool if used correctly.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Not necessarily Chris, as a one rep max weight lifter will be using anaerobic systems to achieve this lift and generate the energy required. This means that no oxygen is required to achieve the work and therefore there is no demand on the heart to deliver oxygen at the time of the lift.

Heart rates in conjunction with latate thresholds is a powerful training tool if used correctly.
    Is your name really Roy Scott or is that an alias? Just curious.Anyway I don't really understand why your first paragraph is directed at me. What's the "Not necessarily?" I didn't offer an opinion on why this man's heart rate stayed the same.

Besides your conclusions are wrong. Let's just say I agree with your contention(which I don't) that the lift was anaerobic. On that basis running the 100 meters flat out would not cause an increase in heart rate, because there is no demand on the heart to deliver oxygen at the time of the run, since it's anaerobic.

Of course this is untrue, just like your contention.

Heart rates in conjunction with nothing(which was the whole point to the thread) are useless for making progress in training.

But if you don't know your true max how can you accurately work at the various levels subscribed to by the BCF? (as per link below)

http://www.machinehead-software.co.u..._abcc_bcf.html

Is your name really Roy Scott or is that an alias? Just curious.Anyway I don't really understand why your first paragraph is directed at me. What's the "Not necessarily?" I didn't offer an opinion on why this man's heart rate stayed the same.

Besides your conclusions are wrong. Let's just say I agree with your contention(which I don't) that the lift was anaerobic. On that basis running the 100 meters flat out would not cause an increase in heart rate, because there is no demand on the heart to deliver oxygen at the time of the run, since it's anaerobic.

Of course this is untrue, just like your contention.

Heart rates in conjunction with nothing(which was the whole point to the thread) are useless for making progress in training.
    Yes my name is Roy Scott, I have nothing to hide from on here.

Sorry for the assumption, I assumed that you were suggesting that the weight lifter had achieved the lift by simply raising his stroke volume (strength of beat) rather than a rise in heart rate. Obviously this would be a stupid suggestion and would mean that there would be a lag in time for the heart rate to rise when you started running, clearly wrong.

You are right when you state that stroke volume is important for performance though. The problem this is not a measurable variable/training tool unless you are in a lab, unlike heart rate.

The fact that 100m can be run whilst holding your breath (Mo Green used to) should tell you that it does not require oxygen to supply the energy. The reason that the HR rises is to rid the body of the byproducts of the activity, namely carbon dioxide and acidosis in the working muscles. The energy systems required for he 100 m for the elite do not require oxygen.

Can I ask you Chris how you measure your exertion on long easier runs?
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

I would tend to agree that max heart rate is an irrelevant figure on its own
    but if you are going to train with a HRM then it is useful for working out your various training zones.
    I would advise against going for a maximum on a treadmill - Ive tried it a couple of times but frequently get a higher figure whilst out in the real world doing reps, hills, fells etc.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    But if you don't know your true max how can you accurately work at the various levels subscribed to by the BCF? (as per link below)

http://www.machinehead-software.co.u..._abcc_bcf.html
    exactly what i'm talking about. i have been training for the hell of it, not measuuring my rate at all, and not keeping check on recovery. Now, i have my monitor. i want to do it right
    just calculated my MHR on this , gave me 184, not far off.

It seems so easy to exceed maximum rate, gues i just need to get fitter!!
    Last edited by Darth domain; 14-01-2009 at 12:50 PM.