Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silva Jet 5

Silva Jet 5

My current Silva compass has developed a large air bubble which I am sure must affect the accuracy of the reading - it certainly undermines confidence in it.

I was shown a Silva Jet 5 recently, and was well impressed by the smooth action and damped movements of the needle and wondered if anyone can give feedback on their use, longevity, similar alternatives, etc. The going rate on't th'interweb seems to be about £60, so any comments good or bad would be appreciated.

Cheers

Grimm

Re: Silva Jet 5

Contact Silva. Replaced mine no probs.

See if Silva will replace your compass then invest in a thumb compass, I am a fan after using one with AJF once you get used to them they are so much easier to run with.

Yes. It's best part of 30 years ago now. I'd lost the spring wire clip that holds the rotating bezel into the base ( cleaning out muck and grit after surveying some new passages on a caving trip ). I rang up Silva's UK office ( I think the number was in the user instructions ) to ask which retailer was likely to stock spares. The girl had a "no worries" attitude, took my address and sent the part to me, gratis.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    See if Silva will replace your compass then invest in a thumb compass, I am a fan after using one with AJF once you get used to them they are so much easier to run with.
    Donkarlo, I've often looked at those thumb compass and tried to figure out how they work accurately, with no scale etched on, in any shape or form?

Some of them have degrees on the bevel. I have never needed scale on the plate as you can always guesstimate distance although it does have markings with no scale.

This is mine http://www.compasspoint-online.co.uk.../moscow_2l.jpg

Perfect for O races, mountain marathons and adventure racing. Maybe a bit of overkill for fell races.

AJF, yours has degrees etched on the rotating bezel. It's the ones that don't, which have me puzzled. I guess it's down to getting your mitts on one and giving it a go,

I have used both the jet 5 and Jet 6 thumb

For O and some adventure racing the Silva Jet 6 Spectra thumb is great but the non rotating bezel means approx bearings only. For situations like MM where I may want to follow an accurate compass bearing over a longer distance I prefer the Silva Jet 5.

Both available fom Facewest

Whichever way you go the Jet needle system is great and does mean you look down less to check your heading and stand less chance of falling over or going astray

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    AJF, yours has degrees etched on the rotating bezel. It's the ones that don't, which have me puzzled. I guess it's down to getting your mitts on one and giving it a go,
    If you are taking a direct bearing from the map to run on between points I dont suppose you need to know what the bearing actually is in degrees - simply align the needle and go.

Wheezing Donkey
    Thumb compasses with scales?
    Try NNNavigator thumb compass
    available at Compasspoint in left or right hand versions at £18