Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slippery shoes/Adidas swoop 2

Slippery shoes/Adidas swoop 2

Anyone else had a bad experience with the soles of some fell shoes?

In the space of a few miles this morning I have had two nasty falls when the soles of my Adidas Swoop 2's(3rd outing) failed to give any sort of grip on wet paving slabs. While I appreciate that they are designed for off road use I have to cross a couple of roads to get to the nearby fields - the first fall took place on a corner and I picked myself up and put it down to taking the corner too tight and too fast. The second fall a few miles further on as I planted my foot on piece of paving slab hidden beneathe the surface of the mud resulted in being spread eagled and badly scraped.
    As a lot of fell races incorporate some potentially slippery slab type material (The 3 peakes for example) what I need to know is will the shiney plastic type soles of these shoes become abraided naturally after a few more carefull runs or should I take some action myself and try routhening the studs with emery paper for example?
    My previouse pair of fell shoes (Walshes) although a little harsh on long races like the 3 Peakes presented no problems when running on short sections of road.

Any comments on these shoes or any others would be appreciated.

Re: Slippery shoes/Adidas swoo

I really like fit and confort of swoops, but they are lethal on wet rock. I wore some for Borrowdale last year and they were very good for most of the race, but very poor on the top of Scafell Pike when i was barely able to walk for slipping about.

THey are fine for grassy muddy runs but hopeless on rocky stuff. The Innov8 rocklite 285 is a similarly light and comfortable shoe but grips far better on rock.

Anyone got experience of Mizuno Wave Harrier on wet rock/slabs?
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

I've said it before: I love the fit of Swoops but the grip is poor on rock or slabs.
    Mudclaw 270s are superb on hard surfaces and the 330s are excellent on mud.

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Anyone got experience of Mizuno Wave Harrier on wet rock/slabs?
    i used them for 3 peaks reccy i did with paul h and fellhell a couple of weeks ago. they were good on rocks and stone, felt ok ish when rock was wet and slippery, and stayed feeling comfy all way around apart from a couple of blisters. Downside is that when it comes to mud/bog or grassy descents i didnt feel very confident coming down hills, unless it was rock etc under foot. Dont seem to have as deep a tread as flyrocs for example, but worth the 50 quid.

I think walshes have the best grip on wet rock of any fell shoe that I've used, with mudrock 280s, mudclaw 270 and highlanders not far behind.
    I've also used mudrock 290s and flyrock 310 these I found poor, retired the 310s to summer trail runs only.

Can't really comment on the mudclaw 330 as I destroyed the sole in two runs and had to take them back.

Walshes have the best sole for the ground I run on (lakes wales) good grip on the rock and the grass pity they kill my feet on long runs.
    I thought the mudclaw 270s would replace them (fantastic on wet grass) but rocky stuff in the lakes seems to take the studs off, plus my worst ever blisters were while wearing them

The comfort of the highlanders beats them all though.

Bill

I reckon inov8 280s are by far the grippiest of any shoe on rock, wet or dry - as they shoudl be given the climbing rubber. trouble is, they wear out too quickly.

after that walsh's are the best, but I find them uncomfortable traversing steep ground.

mudclaws are excellent on wet grass but not so good on wet rock. they are far more heardwearing than 280s though.

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    I reckon inov8 280s are by far the grippiest of any shoe on rock, wet or dry - as they shoudl be given the climbing rubber. .
    I had some road shoes with good year racing tyre rubber (maybe reebok)

but they weren't grippy maybe I didn't run fast enough to get em hot

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    I reckon inov8 280s are by far the grippiest of any shoe on rock, wet or dry - as they shoudl be given the climbing rubber. trouble is, they wear out too quickly.
    Only done a few runs in mine so far, I know there supposed to be made of climbing rubber but they are no way near as sticky as my climbing shoes.
    Much better than most other fellshoes though.

Maybe made from EB rubber

Bill

I love my mizunos. keep wearing em. Found their limit round half tour pendle tho. The steep descent before cp 4 is too much for them. Has to be mudclaws for me on slippy slidy stuff