Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Carding Mill Canter

Re: Carding mill

It will be a lovely race. Quite tempted but I suspect the 'one race a month' domestic agreement will be in force! Need to save me beans for Pen Cerrig Calch!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    It will be a lovely race. Quite tempted but I suspect the 'one race a month' domestic agreement will be in force! Need to save me beans for Pen Cerrig Calch!
    Ahh that'll be one less old un blocking the start line then

NOW yer in trouble! I have refined my 'oops sorry didn't see you' tactic for expert blocking manouveres.

Sadly such tactics will be wasted at PCC since this race has near perfect start arrangements...2 ridiculously steep fields with a full width open gate between them before the first stile. The field not so much spreads out as become smeared in various stages of terminal exhaustion on the hillside....its not pretty. The first stile becomes a welcome rest rather than a bottleneck. Breezy would love it!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Yeah PCC, sprint start not recommended. Also the South Wales fields are made up sheer quality (especially of the old gits) not quantity, so overcrowding not a problem.

Not going either as i injured my ankle whilst sneaking in a practice run last week, that'll teach me!! Its a brilliant race, good mix of steep climbs and lovely runnable sections.
    Enjoy!

weather looks great for this w/e, i'll be sporting my shiny new mudclaw 270's

Carding mill - Piccies

My pictures from the race are here:-

http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk...anter2010.html

Al.
    Last edited by altye; 07-03-2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: All pictures uploaded
    AlTye

The dyslexic, diabetic, photographer.

http://www.fellrunningpictures.co.uk/

Carding Mill Canter Fell Race.

Don’t be fooled – this race is no canter. 5 miles and 2000t of climbing.

Den and I love the Long Mynd area. Its magnificent rolling hills and deep valleys are a haven for wild life and a must for any one who is in to the out door life. To combine this with our great passion for running is about as good as it gets.

84 runners assemble in the valley bottom,National trust car park. Strict instructions on the need to carry the correct kit and to report to the finish if retiring from the race are shouted out. ( Its vital that race organisers are not left with the concern that some one may be left out on the Hills ). Unlike road races it’s a quick shout of GO! that sets the runners off up the valley bottom. Within half a mile a sharp turn off the track, means that you have to negotiate a stream before looking up ( and up ) to tackle a steep climb up a rocky ridge that brings the field quickly to a hands on knees walk of 500ft. The relief on reaching the first summit is immense. Next a contoured track follows the hill line for about a mile before you plummet back down to the valley bottom. Legs are screaming for you to stop as you cross the stream again at the valley bottom. 2.1/2 miles in to the race “half way” and crossing the track it’s another climb of 500ft to the next summit. Screaming calves and thighs for all at this stage. Across the summit it’s a dive down 200ft before climbing up again. Then there is another contoured path taking you to yet another heart breaking climb. Thankfully the last climb is done and a marshall stands at a taped turn with an arrow pointing over a drop that no right minded person would contemplate. The top runners are able to run down this steep gorge, most of us just slither or slide down on our back side or suffer knee wrenching agony trying to keep moving. At the valley bottom its another leap of faith across the stream ( Photographer on hand ) before a ½ mile break neck run to the finish on an ankle breaking rocky path. The relief at the finish is immense. A miles jog back along the valley bottom to the car park. Tea, Soup and cake is followed by a very informal presentation. Bottles of beer or wine is the choice for category winners.

It was yet another fantastic day out on the fells. You really should try it. I ran on the road for twenty years, before finding the fells, where times and tarmac are now a thing of the past.

For the record I finished 9th and 1st V50 two over 50s were 10th and 11th so a great competition. Den won the LV45s race so bottles of beer and wine were opened this evening as a well earned finish to our day.

Thanks to Dave, Pauline, Keith and all at Mercia for organising another great fell race in Shropshire

Results at http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/1468
    Last edited by Moorlander; 06-03-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Carding Mill Canter Fell Race.

For the record I finished 9th and 1st V50 two over 50s were 10th and 11th so a great competition. Den won the LV45s race so bottles of beer and wine were opened this evening as a well earned finish to our day.

Results at http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/1468
    Very well done yer auld buggers

Its great to win beer and wine for being Old. Look out at Coniston - Im after Y