Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Carding Mill Canter

Re: Carding mill

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Its great to win beer and wine for being Old. Look out at Coniston - Im after Y
    Am ganna send yer a photo of the back o me vest cos its the only bit of me yer'll see

He he....if ahm anywhere near you at the finish mate ahl be well chuffed

I take it this was a different route from when it was last a championship race in 2006, when the winner's time was 42:33

Whatever, it's a much underrated part of the country and always a pleasure to visit. Shame I missed it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I take it this was a different route from when it was last a championship race in 2006, when the winner's time was 42:33

Whatever, it's a much underrated part of the country and always a pleasure to visit. Shame I missed it this year.
    Not sure about the race route, but it was quicker than last year.

I guess i was getting a little carried away with my report on here, bu it was written for my road club and i am trying to get them to see the light and convert.

Smile Re: Carding mill

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Am ganna send yer a photo of the back o me vest cos its the only bit of me yer'll see

He he....if ahm anywhere near you at the finish mate ahl be well chuffed

If only I could master your down hill technique, i may stand a chance. Any way I am having to train 6 days a week to your two days.....

Great race, beautiful location and we were lucky with the weather. I have to say the inov-8s were fantastic, perfrect for the super steep grassy decents. Had to shoot off before the prize presentation, I shall be doing this one again

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    Carding Mill Canter Fell Race.

Don’t be fooled – this race is no canter. 5 miles and 2000t of climbing.

Den and I love the Long Mynd area. Its magnificent rolling hills and deep valleys are a haven for wild life and a must for any one who is in to the out door life. To combine this with our great passion for running is about as good as it gets.

84 runners assemble in the valley bottom,National trust car park. Strict instructions on the need to carry the correct kit and to report to the finish if retiring from the race are shouted out. ( Its vital that race organisers are not left with the concern that some one may be left out on the Hills ). Unlike road races it’s a quick shout of GO! that sets the runners off up the valley bottom. Within half a mile a sharp turn off the track, means that you have to negotiate a stream before looking up ( and up ) to tackle a steep climb up a rocky ridge that brings the field quickly to a hands on knees walk of 500ft. The relief on reaching the first summit is immense. Next a contoured track follows the hill line for about a mile before you plummet back down to the valley bottom. Legs are screaming for you to stop as you cross the stream again at the valley bottom. 2.1/2 miles in to the race “half way” and crossing the track it’s another climb of 500ft to the next summit. Screaming calves and thighs for all at this stage. Across the summit it’s a dive down 200ft before climbing up again. Then there is another contoured path taking you to yet another heart breaking climb. Thankfully the last climb is done and a marshall stands at a taped turn with an arrow pointing over a drop that no right minded person would contemplate. The top runners are able to run down this steep gorge, most of us just slither or slide down on our back side or suffer knee wrenching agony trying to keep moving. At the valley bottom its another leap of faith across the stream ( Photographer on hand ) before a ½ mile break neck run to the finish on an ankle breaking rocky path. The relief at the finish is immense. A miles jog back along the valley bottom to the car park. Tea, Soup and cake is followed by a very informal presentation. Bottles of beer or wine is the choice for category winners.

It was yet another fantastic day out on the fells. You really should try it. I ran on the road for twenty years, before finding the fells, where times and tarmac are now a thing of the past.

For the record I finished 9th and 1st V50 two over 50s were 10th and 11th so a great competition. Den won the LV45s race so bottles of beer and wine were opened this evening as a well earned finish to our day.

Thanks to Dave, Pauline, Keith and all at Mercia for organising another great fell race in Shropshire

Results at http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/1468
    its that last descent that did my ankle last week!! went at an inbetween pace didn't let the brakes off fully but didn't walk either. Slipped then slid on backsidefor 5-6 metres, picking up speed until foot caught a tuft of grass and twisted whilst body kept going!!
    Glad the weather was good and all seemed to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by lookmanohands View Post
    Ahh that'll be one less old un blocking the start line then
    Wheeze said he came 9th in a local race. If so that may permit him a front line start at a similar race, depending on road/start line width of course..

Quick old gits are still permitted front line starts according to 'Good fell running etiquette' (Ridgway, 2010).

Carding Mill Canter

Carding Mill Canter Fell Race

Its on again tomorow 1pm and shouldn't be missed. Here is my report from last year.

Don’t be fooled – this race is no canter. 5 miles and 2000t of climbing.

Den and I love the Long Mynd area. Its magnificent rolling hills and deep valleys are a haven for wild life and a must for any one who is in to the out door life. To combine this with our great passion for running is about as good as it gets.

84 runners assemble in the valley bottom,National trust car park. Strict instructions on the need to carry the correct kit and to report to the finish if retiring from the race are shouted out. ( Its vital that race organisers are not left with the concern that some one may be left out on the Hills ). Unlike road races it’s a quick shout of GO! that sets the runners off up the valley bottom. Within half a mile a sharp turn off the track, means that you have to negotiate a stream before looking up ( and up ) to tackle a steep climb up a rocky ridge that brings the field quickly to a hands on knees walk of 500ft. The relief on reaching the first summit is immense. Next a contoured track follows the hill line for about a mile before you plummet back down to the valley bottom. Legs are screaming for you to stop as you cross the stream again at the valley bottom. 2.1/2 miles in to the race “half way” and crossing the track it’s another climb of 500ft to the next summit. Screaming calves and thighs for all at this stage. Across the summit it’s a dive down 200ft before climbing up again. Then there is another contoured path taking you to yet another heart breaking climb. Thankfully the last climb is done and a marshall stands at a taped turn with an arrow pointing over a drop that no right minded person would contemplate. The top runners are able to run down this steep gorge, most of us just slither or slide down on our back side or suffer knee wrenching agony trying to keep moving. At the valley bottom its another leap of faith across the stream ( Photographer on hand ) before a ½ mile break neck run to the finish on an ankle breaking rocky path. The relief at the finish is immense. A miles jog back along the valley bottom to the car park. Tea, Soup and cake is followed by a very informal presentation. Bottles of beer or wine is the choice for category winners.

It was yet another fantastic day out on the fells. You really should try it. I ran on the road for twenty years, before finding the fells, where times and tarmac are now a thing of the past.

Thanks to Dave, Pauline, Keith and all at Mercia for organising another great fell race in Shropshire

Results at http://www.merciafellrunners.org.uk/node/1468

Banned

Re: Carding Mill Canter

Longdogs won in the Ladies section

Re: Carding Mill Canter

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Longdogs won in the Ladies section
    And Chris Steele won the mens by over 2mins !
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.