Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Goals

Personal Goals

Was wondering what drives others to be out there on the fells, or even just out there running. Mine started as a desire to lose weight and increase my fitness, but found that's not enough for me, I need something more tangible than that. Was surfing the net last night and come across this

http://www.snowdonrace.com/saesneg/welcome.html

Well I did'nt just come across it, I was deliberately looking for info on it if I'm being honest
    My other half is from beautifull North Wales and I'm off up the mountains whenever I get the chance as we are over there a fair bit as she is from Ruthin.
    I would quite fancy having a go at that, obviously when I'm a lot fitter than I am at the mo.

Do others have similar goals??

Re: Personal Goals

My first goal was to do the Fellsman. Now I'm aiming to increase my speed so I'm going to start racing this year. Depending on what other comittments I have my no.1 goal is the Borrowdale plus on or two other AL's.
    Was planning on doing the Dark Peak 15 Trigs challenge on March 29th before I found out that the Edale Skyline race is that day... might save it for summer.
    2010 - 3 peaks race, 2011 Bob Graham Round.

(Got to get some fitness back first though!!!)

Super Moderator

Personal goals are interesting and I suppose 'personal'. I've never been able to run quickly and I'm not really interested in trying to speed up now in my mid-40s However I love the 'buzz' of racing.

My goals are literally to see how far I can go and a BGR sooner rather than later is part of that
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I think all runners at some level must have personal goals, or they wouldn't make it to the start line. A couple of years ago my goal was to set PBs in all the standard road distances, and to win the Scottish Islands Peaks Race, but I've done all those now. So my goal now is just to race virtually every weekend without getting injured, and to train a bit more.

My only specific goal for 2009 is to aim for sub 2:50 in London Marathon:
    http://www.justgiving.com/london250

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I've always had a fascination with stories of extreme human endurance. I'm not saying that anything I've achieved would compare to any of these stories (e.g. Shackleton expedition stories, Touching the Void, Long Range Desert Group soldiers in the Sahara during WWII, anything Sir Ranulph Feinnes has done). But in my mind to not to try to push your own physical limits is a huge waste of your potential.

I'm not quick at all. I like to attempt the longer routes. I've only done a couple so far, but when I'm back in working order, there will be a big push to get some of these under my belt, then getting some of the big rounds in in the next few years.

Would love to do a polar race like the Amundsen race just completed in the last week, or the Polar Challenge (North Pole). Or a top to bottom oceanic row (arctic to antarctic). Not sure if this last one would be possible through either the rough north and south Atlantic seas. Just an idle thought I've had from time to time.

Trouble is, these bigger events cost money. So included in my personal goals is to get stinking rich (mwahahah).

Plan's going well so far:

Stage 1: Steal underpants
    Stage 2: ?*shrugs shoulders*
    Stage 3: Profit!!
    (South Park reference there)
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    I've always had a fascination with stories of extreme human endurance. I'm not saying that anything I've achieved would compare to any of these stories (e.g. Shackleton expedition stories, Touching the Void).
    I would like to add Fridtjof Wedel-Jarlsberg Nansen to that list as well SS an incredible story as well !
    No country for old men.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I would like to add Fridtjof Wedel-Jarlsberg Nansen to that list as well SS an incredible story as well !
    Just Wikid him. What a fella!! On top of all his polar exploits, a zoologist, diplomat, scientist, Nobel Peace Prize winner...all round top chap and good egg.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Catch that cwazy gwouse.
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...

I have a dog that likes to chase his tail but he never quite catches it Margerine so don't get too disappointed! Hopefully the KT will be too claggy to see any grouse....

parajon - 2008 was my first full year fell running, and I set myself the target of surviving Fairfield Horseshoe in May... then I got "volunteered" for Snowdon as well, so kept going until end of July - barely survived both but enjoyed both and got gradually fitter in the training

I have come to the conclusion that I'm more suited to shorter/less extreme races and luckily there are plenty of those to try

My main goal for 2009 is to try to improve my performances at some of those shorter races (Kinder Downfall is my first main target)

I still intend to target a couple of longer races per year though - Cader Idris in May and 3 Shires in Sept.